Alternative to standard seacock

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Alternative to standard seacock

Post by falcon »

Is there any problem with using a Groco Flanged Adapter in combination with an in-line ball valve in place of a standard flanged seacock? I ask because this combination appears to be about half the price of the standard one-piece seacock.

Pete
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Alternative to standard seacock

Post by Tim »

Price aside, the Groco flange adapter is a great invention, in my opinion, and worth using purely for that reason. I would have used these if they'd been available when I did mine 9 years ago.

If the combination happens to cost less when all is said and done, then so much the better.

Go for it, by all means.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

I second what Tim says. They are a great idea, and give you the option to replce a frozen or otherwise damaged valve without the major undertaking of removing the entire assembly. I just wish Forespar made a marelon version...
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by falcon »

Thank you. This is just what I needed.
Pete
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

AGREED! They are really sweet...
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

I think they were invented for people like myself who buy parts when they are on sale for later use. When West Marine had a big VIP sale years ago I bought the valves (not the proper seacocks) for what I anticipated to be the head replacement project. At the time I did not understand the difference between seacock and the inline valve so naturally I bought what is less expensive of the two. When I finally got around to install the intake and outlet thru-hulls and the valves last year I learned the difference. Just then I found out that Groco now makes these adapters that are perfect for correcting my purchase mistake. THANKS Groco!
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Tim, I thought that surveyors had a problem with inline ball valves used as thru-hulls. I always read not to use those for that application, though I did it once for some time. I've snapped old ones off, out of the water luckily, due to corrosion at the threads. Granted they were pretty old and proper inspection could prevent catastrophe, but you can't break off a proper thru-hull. Now the bolts, that's another story...

Again, surveyors are OK with those?
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That's because inline valves have incompatible (i.e. tapered) threads when compared with through hull fittings (straight threads). It's not the ball valves themselves that create one of the surveyor's favorite issues: it's the incompatibility of these threads, not to mention the lack of secure mounting that occurs if one threads a valve onto a spindly through hull without benefit of a mounting flange.

What the Groco flange adapter does is (as the name implies) adapt between the threads. It has straight threads on the bottom to accept the through hull fitting, and tapered threads on top to accept standard ball valves. It's not the same thing to which you're referring, and in fact addresses that very issue. If you're not familiar with this Groco flange, look it up so you can see how it works. I think you'll see the difference.

Of course one must still take care to select quality ball valves, not el-cheapos. But then that goes for everything on board, doesn't it.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Thanks. That's good to know. That setup has to be a good deal less expensive than the 'old' setup.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?