Single Handed Spinnaker

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Single Handed Spinnaker

Post by Bluenose »

Does anyone use a symmetric spinnaker while sailing single handed. If so I would love to hear about your launching, take downs and any setup tips.

Thanks, Bill
Rich P
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Raider
Boat Type: Sadler 25

Re: Single Handed Spinnaker

Post by Rich P »

Yep!
And with no self steering!

-First of all get the spinni prepped in its bag, a bow launch is easiest with no self steering!
-Bag clipped on bow.
-Set the pole to roughly where you want it and pull the clew of the spinnaker attached to the guy right out the pole, cleat off.
- Make sure theres plenty of slack to run in the sheet and cleat it off.
- With the tiller between your legs hoist the spinny as fast as possible.
-Its probably shaking about now making lots of noise, ignore that, get the sheet on a winch and sheet in!
- Your away! :) Adjust pole up and down, + guy as necessary

To bring it down ease the sheet, run forward, unclip the guy. Run back, regain control of the boat, ease halyard and using sheet pull the spinnaker into the cabin!

Jobs a good 'un!
Preparing a small boat for offshore sailing.
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 711#p44711
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

Slight difference of opinion: Pole should against head stay and guy eased for hoist and take down. Key thing is to get spin behind mainsail so your point of sail should be a broad reach (at least temporarily) for these maneuvers. Have you ever considered a 'chute scoop'? A lot of single handers swear by them.

rb

Rich P wrote:Yep!

-First of all get the spinni prepped in its bag, a bow launch is easiest with no self steering!
-Bag clipped on bow.
-Set the pole to roughly where you want it and pull the clew of the spinnaker attached to the guy right out the pole, cleat off.
- Make sure theres plenty of slack to run in the sheet and cleat it off.
- With the tiller between your legs hoist the spinny as fast as possible.
-Its probably shaking about now making lots of noise, ignore that, get the sheet on a winch and sheet in!
- Your away! :) Adjust pole up and down, + guy as necessary

To bring it down ease the sheet, run forward, unclip the guy. Run back, regain control of the boat, ease halyard and using sheet pull the spinnaker into the cabin!

Jobs a good 'un!
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks for the great replies. Off course I have more questions.

-Bag clipped on bow.
When you clip to the bow I assume you mean the bow pulpit? Would the headstay work okay?
Rich P wrote: - With the tiller between your legs hoist the spinny as fast as possible.
It sounds like you have your spinnaker halyard lead aft. I could probably do that by leading it through its mast cleat. Any other options? Have you tried hoisting with the tiller unattended? The run back and forth drill.
Stubrow wrote:Slight difference of opinion: Pole should against head stay and guy eased for hoist and take down. Key thing is to get spin behind mainsail so your point of sail should be a broad reach (at least temporarily) for these maneuvers. Have you ever considered a 'chute scoop'? A lot of single handers swear by them.
I had a chute scoop an and asymmetrical chute on my last boat and I kind of hated both of them. The asymmetrical chute didn't seem that much better than my 150 genny on my fractional rig. The wind direction range was pretty much opposite of what I needed. So I am a bit weery of both of those option.

I still need to get or make a spinnaker pole and work out some turning blocks. Well that and figure out a way to lead them to the cabin top winches. But I have the spinnaker and I have used them in the past. Just a really long time ago.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tom Young »

Try it in very light air first. It sounds like you'll have to set it from the mast. The biggest problem with a chute from a turtle bag (no sock) is wrapping the headstay. For that reason, I like the chute on a broad reach. I'll set the pole end and guy where it want it leaving the sheet a little loose.

Hoist it quickly! It's nice to get the head to the top the first time! You'll want to be back at the tiller and sheet pronto after that.

I'd worry as much about the take down without a sock. If it's still light air when you take it down(it often isn't in my experience :) ), you may be able to unshackle the guy on a reach from the bow. If not, I suppose you'll have to let either the sheet or guy run free to take it down.
Rich P
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Raider
Boat Type: Sadler 25

Post by Rich P »

To be honest i only set the kite when there's not much breeze and I'm on my own!

If i had self steering then it would be 100% easier, and no problem hoisting at the mast , I prefer to hoist almost dead downwind as thats when the spinny is sheltered the most.
Preparing a small boat for offshore sailing.
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 711#p44711
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Do they bag-launch the chute from the bow when racing Shields?
Could you launch from the companionway, under the main (nice blanket effect), or is the companionway too far aft?

I know for certain that I'd dowse it into the companionway. Grab the loaded sheet, release the guy, gather a few armloads, release the halyard, and scrabble it down the hatch AQAP.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

Since I've never used one myself (chute scoop), can't disagree with your opinion about them. Never was really in love with the idea of having that big bulky thing up there messing up the head of the sail either. I'm also with you about the pole. Unless you have a catamaran, or TP52, a real pole is useful if you want to actually go DOWN wind. Even those sprit boats such as the newer J's, don't ever achieve the same VMG on a windward leeward course that would be possible with a real articulating pole. (They're not that much easier to gybe either).
But if you singlehanding, I would think you would want some way to lash the helm if only for very short periods. I used to do some single handing on a Lightning and I attached a schock cord on one side of the tiller, and a line through a block on the other so I could steer from any position on the boat. (a Lightning will NOT steer itself for one second) Wasn't great, but did the job.
Bluenose wrote:Thanks for the great replies. Off course I have more questions.

-Bag clipped on bow.
When you clip to the bow I assume you mean the bow pulpit? Would the headstay work okay?
Rich P wrote: - With the tiller between your legs hoist the spinny as fast as possible.
It sounds like you have your spinnaker halyard lead aft. I could probably do that by leading it through its mast cleat. Any other options? Have you tried hoisting with the tiller unattended? The run back and forth drill.
Stubrow wrote:Slight difference of opinion: Pole should against head stay and guy eased for hoist and take down. Key thing is to get spin behind mainsail so your point of sail should be a broad reach (at least temporarily) for these maneuvers. Have you ever considered a 'chute scoop'? A lot of single handers swear by them.
I had a chute scoop an and asymmetrical chute on my last boat and I kind of hated both of them. The asymmetrical chute didn't seem that much better than my 150 genny on my fractional rig. The wind direction range was pretty much opposite of what I needed. So I am a bit weery of both of those option.

I still need to get or make a spinnaker pole and work out some turning blocks. Well that and figure out a way to lead them to the cabin top winches. But I have the spinnaker and I have used them in the past. Just a really long time ago.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Use the main to control the air in the chute.

Do not let the pole hit the forestay or you'll loose your forestay if the pole gets enough momentum behind it.

I'd try and do it first on a light air day without a sock. Socks are nice, but I've tangled up a spinny in even the most foolproof sock.

If the chute gets hopelessly tangled or hour-glassed, manage it behind the main.