Question on Boat Transporters

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Question on Boat Transporters

Post by preserved_killick »

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of hiring someone to move my boat to the coast, roughly 2 hours on the road. My question concerns transport trailers. I've only got a couple experiences with boat haulers, and generally they were good, and seemed to care for the well-being of the boat. However, last fall I was helping a friend have his boat hauled, and the guy shows up with a scrappy looking trailer and full size pickup. The whole event was a nightmare (expensive too).

Now I'm I need to hire someone I'm not familiar with. As a sailboat owner, are there things one should ask in particular of your hauler before they touch the boat? Are certain types of trailers more friendly to a sailboat?

I'm looking for someone from the Boothbay Maine area. Anyone have any recommendations?? Anyone have any experiences with Coastal Boat Transport out of Newcastle, ME?

Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Question on Boat Transporters

Post by Tim »

As with most things, your best bet in terms of determining what the quality of the experience might be will come from word of mouth and recommendations--both positive and negative.

To that end, I do not have any personal or secondhand experience with Coastal Boat Transport, so I can't help you with that one. I found a picture online at this sort-of website that they have that shows a good-looking truck with what appears to be a typical new Hostar or Minuteman hydraulic trailer of roughly 12 ton capacity, I'd guess, and suitable for sailboats. I think I passed this very rig on the road once before.

As to general questions for any hauler you might audition, you mostly want to know that their trailer is designed for sailboats (there are a lot of hydraulic trailers made for powerboats that some haulers will try and use for deep-draft sailboats, with varying levels of success), and obviously that the trailer has sufficient weight-carrying capacity for a 10,000 lb. sailboat. Most do, but there are definitely people out there who will say "yes" to any job, whether or not they really should with the equipment/experience they have.

Who brought the boat to your current location? Is there a reason that this hauler is not up for consideration for the trip back to the coast? Your own past experiences are certainly the most important.

And for all this advice, I am assuming that your boat is on blocks and stands, and not a cradle.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by vindo40 »

Hi Jeff
I have some experience with these "transporters." They are too expensive and you never know ow much care they will give your boat.
I moved my boat from Miami to Hernando Beach (300 Mi) without a problem, but It took me more than 2 months to select the "transporter" I liked. Here is a web page that can help. You can read other experiences that customers had with the "transporters". http://www.uship.com
I really like this system more (picture)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk27 ... 1243434483
preserved_killick

Thanks Tim,

I saw that photo, that truck and trailer do look capable. The guys who moved my boat to the house operate in the NH lakes region, and don't cross state lines. I will say that Coastal Boat Transport has been very helpful on the telephone and good about returning calls. I'll mention the shape of my keel to them.

I did try to get ahold of Steve Morse at Overland Marine with no luck at all.

I wasn't that concerned when the boat was delivered to the house, but now I've go so much invested I can't help but be fussy. I'm now a fussy boat owner!

-Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
Tim

Post by Tim »

Returning phone calls is a real plus right there: major points scored.

I know and like Steve Morse very well, but he is really terrible at returning calls, unfortunately. He doesn't seem to understand the problems this causes, both for him and for his potential customers.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Tim wrote:As with most things, your best bet in terms of determining what the quality of the experience might be will come from word of mouth and recommendations--both positive and negative.
Very wise words indeed. We had Bolero shipped using a shipper we found on uShip and I can't help but feel that I dodged a bullet with that choice. In any future moves I would search high and low for a recommendation. Even if that meant getting a recommendation from a forum member that I trusted.

The shipper we chose had perfect feedback and Bolero did arrive safely but it was not a confidence inspiring relationship for many reasons.

I shudder just thinking about it again.

Bill
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

When I picked up my Yankee 30 in Addison I used Toppins Diesel Marine (from Columbia) to get me out of the seller's front yard and down to Eastport where I used a travelift to put the boat on my trailer. The guy from Toppins was excellent - a real professional, with excellent equipment. The Brownell hydraulic trailer he used was double the size my boat needed, and he manoeuvred it like it was a toy, placing it exactly where he wanted, within fractions of an inch. I'd highly recommend him - although he isn't quite in the Boothbay neighbourhood.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I generally think it's a good sign when the driver wears deck shoes instead of workboots.
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Jeff, have you tried Southport Island Marine? http://southportislandmarine.com/?page_id=20 -- I don't know if they'll come over to NH or not.

You might also try Paul Cunningham in Round Pond (CWC Boat Transport); he comes over to Boothbay to haul boats (we use him at Harborfields for boats that are too big for Southport Island Marine to move), and I think he'll come over to NH to pick you up, too.

22 ANCHOR INN RD
ROUND POND, ME 04564
phone: (207) 529-5825
fax: (207) 529-5825
email: CWCBOAT@TIDEWATER.NET

Was it Fay's that you used before? I think they will go to Kittery Point (out of state) -- at least they mentioned that possibility when I talked to them about moving my boat a few years ago -- or certainly Great Bay Marine; you could certainly sail the boat up to Boothbay from there.

My dad used to use Independent Boat Haulers in Elliot, Maine, to haul his boat to/from the coast and his home near Lake Sunapee. They launch in Rye or Kittery (I think), and you'ld have to sail the boat from there -- my dad kept his boat at Robinhood, and the sail up and back at the beginning and end of the season was an annual event.

I use Ron Wiswell at Marblehead Trading Company (http://www.marbleheadtrading.com/main.html) to move my boat between Keene and Marblehead, and sail from there up to Boothbay. FWIW, these guys broker long distance transport, too. They might be willing to come up to get you and take you to a yard up in the Boothbay area (they don't launch directly from their trailer).

Of course at this time of year, all of these haulers will likely be pretty busy, so getting on their schedule might be a trick.

Were you thinking of launching at Blake's? Did you ask them who they might recommend?

Good Luck,

Tim A.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
preserved_killick

Thanks Tim.

I actually don't remember the name of the guys who moved the boat from Holderness to my home here in Freedom. It wasn't Fays though. I did call CWC, but so far no return call. I'll give him another try today. I'll call Southport Island too. It looks like at I'm a disadvantage jumping in at prime time. I've been told we can launch at that public ramp right there near Blakes on a full tide if the hauler is willing. I've looked at that ramp, looks small and steep, but I've been told it works. Blakes recommends CWC.

One possibility for us, was to have Steve Morse transport us to the Royal River in Yarmouth, get the mast stepped at RRBY and then sail/motor to Boothbay. My wife has strongly suggested she'd prefer to be trucked right to Boothbay for the first time so the "shakedown cruise" is puttering around the harbor rather than any significant trip..and I can't blame her.

On a different note, we're getting lots of rain here in NH these past few days and with my boat out from under the cover for the first time in 18 months so I'm getting the chance to hunt down little leaks. So far pretty good. Had one portlight gasket that needed re-seating, and discovered the deckplate that hides my Gusher Pump leaks a fair bit. I wrapped the pump deckplate with a few wraps of PTFE tape and it looks to be better sealed.

-Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

preserved_killick wrote: I did call CWC, but so far no return call. I'll give him another try today. I'll call Southport Island too. It looks like at I'm a disadvantage jumping in at prime time. I've been told we can launch at that public ramp right there near Blakes on a full tide if the hauler is willing. I've looked at that ramp, looks small and steep, but I've been told it works. Blakes recommends CWC.
Both the crews at Southport Island Marine and at CWC are familiar with that ramp on Townsend Gut. We launch and haul our San Juan 21 there, too.

I hope you're able to line somebody up, we look forward to seeing you out on the water!

(Edit: of course, I'm not out there myself, yet!!!)

Good Luck,

Tim A.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
ddsailor25
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by ddsailor25 »

We use the same company every year to haul our boat. Jocylins is located in Newburyport Ma and do go over state lines for transport. Prices are also very reasonable. I have called other companies for quotes and I have found some cheaper,but It's hard to try someone new when someone does take very good care of your boat.
1968 Bristol 29
preserved_killick

I've got a friend that uses Jocylins every year, and he is very fussy about his boat, a beautiful Friendship Sloop. I called them, and they quoted very high. I'm wondering if I'm just a little too far out of where they normally work.

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Jocelyn is well regarded in my neck of the woods but its a lot of empty trailer miles to get to/from where you want to go.

They are based out of Newburyport and work Cape Ann and Seacoast mostly.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

I used CWC in the past to transport my Bristol 32 locally in Wiscasset. I was completely satisfied.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Tim

Post by Tim »

CWC has been here in the past as well, to pick up a boat that I didn't own. But I was favorably impressed with that second-hand experience.
preserved_killick

CWC must be well regarded. I called them, and they are booked everyday until the end of June!
1965 Alberg 30 #116
preserved_killick

This is just a follow up. We did use Coastal Boat Transport, and I was happy with the service. They showed up on time, were careful about protecting my boat with lots of new padding and carefully placed support struts & blocks. They really took their time. Once on the road, they got to the ramp before I did, and had us in the water in minutes. The truck and trailer appear to be very well maintained. I was following along behind the whole rig loaded with my boat, and it was interesting to see the trailer suspension in action. I've got some bumpy roads, you could see the trailer suspension oscillating up and down over all the bumps, and at the same time the level of the deck doesn't move, as if the boat is floating on the trailer.

The only negative comment I have is that a webbing tie-down strap was able to vibrate on the highway, and created a black mark on the side of the hull. The strap should have had a bit of padding. The spot does not rub off with a wet finger, but I'm sure it will come off with some cleaner. I'm not bothered by it, but I can see someone with a fresh paint job might be. This was the only spot with no padding.

I'll use them again.

Coastal Boat Transport 207 563 5955
1965 Alberg 30 #116