making a gasket seal for opening port

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

making a gasket seal for opening port

Post by falcon »

I have been having dificulty finding a replacement rubber gasket for the opening ports on my Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer. The original gaskets, now deteriorated, were rectangular in crosssection, about 1/2" by 1/2" and fit into a grove on one half of the opening port. The waterproof seal was formed when a slightly raised ridge on the oposing half of the opening port was clamped down onto the rubber gasket when closed. Question: can I fashion a custom gasket by simply filling the groove with a rubery substance that remains compressible when cured like Boatlife Life Calk? Perhaps you could suggest a better product?
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: making a gasket seal for opening port

Post by Hirilondë »

Square buna might be what you want.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Drew
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

I have used this company for rubber seals before at work. I am not sure if they sell small quantities though.

http://www.trimlok.com/

Drew
falcon

Post by falcon »

Dave,
I am not sure waht "square buna" is.

Pete
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

falcon wrote:Dave,
I am not sure waht "square buna" is.

Pete
Did you click on the link? Buna is a type of rubber, and the link is to 1/2 inch square stock that can be purchased in lengths from 3 to 100 feet.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
falcon

Post by falcon »

Dave this looks perfect. I just ordered 10 feet. Sorry for being so computer illiterate.

Pete
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

If that doesn't work, your local auto parts store sells rubber by the sheet in assorted thicknesses. More waste after you cut it out, but it would be one piece.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.