Tiller source?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Tiller source?

Post by s/v Groovy »

I abruptly learned this last weekend that it was time for a new tiller. Any suggestions on where to get a new one?
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Tiller source?

Post by Chris Campbell »

Here's one possibility: http://www.idasailor.com/catalog/default.php
Or I've heard they're very satisfying to build, but haven't done it myself.

More importantly - tell the story of how it broke!
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

I answered my own question, very nice guy...

http://www.idasailor.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=750
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Ahhh great minds... I'll report in the new tiller once received.

It was the second day of my first racing experience, My normal sailing partner (wife) was running a half marathon with her friends, so I enlisted a crew of 1 experienced friend (Jim) and another not so experienced (Mike). 15 knot wind on a beam reach, a mile or so into the 14.5 mile return course, the wind was building so I decided to put in a reef on the main. Back into the cockpit I misplaced some of my weight, when the first cracking was heard. Mike was driving as Jim handled the mainsheet during reefing. Mike seeing us veer off course quickly corrected, or tried. What was whole a moment before was now in two parts, the last 8 inches of the tiller was still mounted to the boat, the first 36 inches in Mikes Hand. I flipped the tiller around and was able to get the thinner handle end into the stock between the first and second mounting bolt, pushing some of the fractured remains out. Rolled in the headsail. Although slower now, we were able to maintain course. Out came the tools and I removed the third bolt to clear the broken butt piece. Then the other two bolts came out to make room for the tiller base to be refitted into the stock. I used a strap wrench to snug it all up and a sail tie as the initial lashing. 6-7 minutes after the first crack of wood, we unrolled the headsail. A 25' 3/8" length of stayset was then lashed over the repair and although a bit shorter, felt as solid as before. We finished the race….

With the opportunity to inspect the tiller internally I see evidence of water entry through the three through mounting bolt holes, and the wood was dry rotted.

I plan on over drilling the mounting holes on the new tiller, filling with epoxy, and then drilling sealed mounting holes.
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Thanks for sharing. And congratulations on getting fixed up so quickly - very disconcerting to find that your attachment to the steering has gone, isn't it! I think your idea of having the inside of the bolt holes isolated by something better than a bit of dripped varnish is a good one, too. I think I'll be doing that on mine after hearing this also!

Cheers,

Chris
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

My new tiller is in the mail as I type this. Well selling off parts from a "parts" boat the person that bought the rails said his father-in-law made his tiller and for a great price would make me a much needed one for my Chrysler C-22

I will try to post pictures soon.
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/28 ... 6121olXSkz

Ok now ready to sail :o) I can't tell you how nice it is to have every to get my chrysler C-2 out on the water