Fixing small openings under the toerail.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Fixing small openings under the toerail.

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hello,
Get this. When tearing out the bulkheads I noticed small cracklike openings where I can see the outside from inside the galley. Let me explain. These cracklike openings are located under the toerail. Where the hull and the deck come together. It is right in between this place where something went wrong. Its like the glue to connect the deck and hull has deteriorated. So, now I can see the outside from the inside through small cracklike openings. How on earth do you fix this issue? This is definately not good and I got really depressed after seeing this. Hopefully someone can cheer me up!! I need some cheering up!

Thanks guys! And thanks for your replies from my previous question.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Fixing small openings under the toerail.

Post by Oscar »

A picture would help......
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Your Arie's hull-deck joint is secured from the inside with tabbing along its length.

It sounds like you may have pulled away some of the tabbing securing the hull-deck joint while you were removing the bulkheads.

To fix, you'll have to clean up the area so that it can accept new tabbing (i.e. smooth enough for good bonding), and install new tabbing. While you're involved in the demo process, be sure to look over all areas of the hull-deck joint for similar issues.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

jeffwagnpete wrote: So, now I can see the outside from the inside through small cracklike openings.
Photos would be extremely helpful, but I do have one thought: Not that Tim's explanation isn't valid, because that could easily be what happened -- but might you simply be seeing through the laminate in an un-gelcoated place along the joint? I mention this in case you haven't yet experienced the "Oh my gosh, my boat is see through!?!" moment that you get when you look through an un-gelcoated and un-painted place on the laminate. It can be a bit disconcerting, and does definitely let light in, but is not an actual crack.

(But as Tim says, the actual joint on an Ariel is a butt joint, glassed on the inside and with the steel rail covering the crack on the outside.)

Rachel
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Okay guys, thanks again! I am going to purchase a digital camera. I will borrow one from a buddy and take photos from now on. This makes perfect sense to me. However; like in that Tom Cruise car racing movie (Days of Thunder) made in the late 80's. Tom and Robert Redford are in that bar and Robert wants to know why Tom does not listen to him on the earphones. Tom then explains to robert that he simply just does not know what he is talking about. I am the same way; being a drywaller I definately know things, but I dont know what you mean by (tabbing). I hope I dont irritate anyone by not knowing anything at all when it comes to glass boats.

Jeff

Looks forward to the day to set sail!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tabbing is used where two pieces come together, to reinforce the joint. It's usually something like 4" wide strips of fiberglass. So, for example, where your bulkheads meet the hull, there should be tabbing joining the two (it might be a bit hard to see, but look for a slight thickening that ends about three inches from the corner on each side).

Another way to think of it would be like taking a cardboard box, and then wanting to divide it into two compartments. So imagine cutting a new piece of cardboard to fit in the middle of the box as a divider, then use masking tape to affix it to the walls of the box. The masking tape would be the tabbing.

Photos will be a great help.

Rachel
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

Are you sure you don't have a Westsail32? :)
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Tabbing looks the same as the tape in your drywall.......except it is much stronger (glass fabric with resin in it) and it's purpose is more structural than cosmetic, it's to hold things together.

BTW, it may have been a while ago for some of us, but none of us knew anything about boats at one point.......Image
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Right on! Exact same principal in drywall, just different vocabulary. You guys are great! I really appreciate it! Someone asked the question if it's a westgait 32'. There's an oval plate in the cockpit that sais it's a Pearson Ariel hull #286. Here is a photo of my Ariel. I'll take more photos on Sunday.

Jeff

Looks forward for the day to set sail.
Attachments
3n73pa3lbZZZZZZZZZ94qe11b334e5370155d[1].jpg
3n73pa3lbZZZZZZZZZ94qe11b334e5370155d[1].jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Commander-147
Boat Name: Destiny
Boat Type: Pearson Commander

Post by Commander-147 »

Jeff

Don't know if you know it or not but there is another forum dedicated to the Ariel's and their sister ship the commander. The association has put together a manual on common problems with the boats and how to fix them. They also have lots of other great information in the manual. In addition there are some very helpful people there that really know these boats.

You can find the forum here.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/
Jerry Carpenter
Commander # 147 "Destiny"
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Jeff, the analogy to dry wall, a little further. Taping with mesh tape corner or wall-ceiling. Ask many of us about dry walling and see what you get;)
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Ask many of us about dry walling and see what you get;)
You get this:

jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Ahh yes, I know that look very well Oscar! Laughing out loud! Love it! And yes, Jerry! I just joined that association. Very nice people as well. I just mailed in my $55.00 association joiners fee and to get a copy of that owners manuel. I talk to Bill Phelon who is the president or something on that association. Man, I really love working on my boat. Especially where it's located. There's just something about this whole process that I got hooked on. It's been a dream of mine since I sailed the Carribean with my family when I was child.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

There's just something about this whole process that I got hooked on.
And to resist is futile.....the calling is too strong.
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Oscar, it took me 2 days to figure out what you meant by You get this:

But I am about a gigabite short of ram.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.