mast stepping...

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

mast stepping...

Post by Tom Javor »

Ok, so call me cheap...... With my S boat and a keel stepped 46 ft mast the fact that it was about $200 to step the mast seemed like a requirement. With the Sailmaster mast at 26 ft and tabernacle mounted $150 seems like a ridiculous expense. Given the tabernacle/mast arrangement why couldn't I set the base in the tabernacle, get 2 guys to lift with a 3rd at the stem fitting with a come along arrangement to take up the slack? If folks think this would work out should I use my main halyard from the masthead
or go with a loose line at the height of the spreaders in order to decrease the angle? I woldn't even need a gin pole arrangement the way I envision this. Any one know of any sort of online discussion on the process?

As always - thanks for your thoughts
TJ
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Re: mast stepping...

Post by tpl »

some discussion here

http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html

another method, used with our 22.5 electra, was one man standing "wallenda style" with the mast horizontal atop a suitable waterside building--we used the marina's fueldock shed--and another on deck: then the mast can be pivoted, the butt inserted into the on-deck step,and some rigging afixed.
Last edited by tpl on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I always managed to step the mast on my 22 without a crane, or a tabernacle, for that matter. We did it with four guys - one to start lifting an end, two to keep the foot still (which you wouldn't worry about with a tabernacle) and act as human gin poles, and one to drag it upright with the forestay. I always connected the cap shrouds and backstay ahead of time so that when the mast went vertical it was nearly secure - just the forestay to attach and all was well.

My second boat had a much taller mast and by then I was a member at a club with a mast crane so I never had a problem - but the people I bought her from launched and hauled themselves in their backyard and always managed to step and unstep the mast themselves. I don't know how they did it early on, but their method later (an improvement, they said) involved a lightweight A-frame with a line and a block to support the mast and lines fore and aft to keep the A-frame upright. A bit of an investment, but it'll probably pay for itself in the first season, and provide some peace of mind over just using muscles, as I did...

Good luck! And let us know how you decide to manage it in the end, of course!

Cheers,

Chris
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

26 feet with a few people is doable. That said, it's a neat project to work out a ginpole arrangement, lateral stabilization and purchase. (use the main sheet, not a come along, way too cumbersome for the amount of travel....three-four resets, PITA.)
If you set it up right, you can do it by yourself....saves having to feed the help.Image
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

I still like my extension ladder better than fab-ing up a gin pole. Then when its not being used to step the mast, you can paint the house ;) Use a line to hold up the ladder at an appropriate angle over the tabernacle, the main sheet instead of a come-a-long. Use a ladder with rubber feet so as to not mar the deck and provide slip resistance (not really a factor). Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.