Blocking up a boat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
daveoday22
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Serenity
Boat Type: O'day 22

Blocking up a boat

Post by daveoday22 »

I have a 1971 22 foot O'Day that's currently on a very rusty trailer. I want to retore the boat (long time project - boat set in my dad's back yard untouched for 10 years!) and get it off the trailer and under a shelter. Boat jack stands cost about $200 each and I would need 5. That's $1000 for a boat that was "free."

Seems like there's a better and cheaper way to get the boat off the trailler. I'm a competent wood worker and think I can come up with a beam and truss system, but looking for ideas

Anybody have any good idea for success stories?

Thanks Dave
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Blocking up a boat

Post by Drew »

I used stacked cinder blocks, wooden blocking and wooden wedges to get a San Juan 23 I once had off the trailer. It was a lot of work, but sweat, patience and an understanding of the forces involved and the loading conditions eventually got the job done. Boat stands are a lot easier.

Drew
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

Post by ghostwriter247 »

$200 each? goodness are they special? granted i dont know much about stands but i priced out 7 of the biggest brownells for my 35 footer and they were 120 each Of course im slightly cheating since im buying them from the boat hauler so I dont have to pay shipping. I found one place at 106 plus shipping.

Josh
Adam
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Usually you can buy them at greatly reduced prices via Craigs list. Also most boat haulers, marina's, boat yards, etc., will rent them for short money.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

The local marine here in NE GA/SW SC had them for around $80 at one point. They had a ton of them built for a massive haul out when the lake dropped and only ended up using and fraction of them. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll forward you their info.

Ryan
Commander-147
Boat Name: Destiny
Boat Type: Pearson Commander

Post by Commander-147 »

Ryan please e-mail me the info (or post it here) I am interested in getting a cost from them on a few.
Jerry Carpenter
Commander # 147 "Destiny"
daveoday22
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Serenity
Boat Type: O'day 22

Post by daveoday22 »

All thanks! Ryan - please send the info to me as well. There are about 4 boat yards within a mile of my house. I'll see if I can rent some or buy a few cheap.

thanks! Dave