Triton Cabin Liners

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
mike_triton150

Triton Cabin Liners

Post by mike_triton150 »

So...#150 has a Cabin Liner, which is all well and good, I suppose, but there a heck of a lot of stuff going on between the liner & the deck/cabin, 2 main groups--

Deck hardware: cleats & cams bolted down, etc.
Electrical system: wiring run, switches, running light access on the side of the cabin house

#150 is in dire need of a rewiring & it seems like I need to remove the liner to get to the goods. I fihure I should also get a good picture of the deck hardware & possible corrosion

Has anyone removed one of these? Are they meant to be put back in? Anyone know how the things are attached?...it seems like the natural edge is at the hatchway & might be epoxied there. I think it was added (or reinstalled) by the 2nd owner & maybe not removed since.
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

So...Mike, am I understanding correctly that there are hardware installations made with the fasteners concealed ABOVE the liner?

That would sound like someone's added liner, is my knee-jerk thought...there is not much room at all between my liner and the inner skin...like, none to speak of.

Somewhere in all the Tritonianna on the web is a production timeline that tells appx. when the molded inner liner was added.

397 has the liner and it's a pain. My Commander didn't have a liner and once I got used to the ripply fiberglass look I didn't mind it one bit. I gave thought and looking to the idea of doing away with the fool thing in the Triton, but the way it is bonded in (in the few places it actually is) makes that something that even masochistic I found to be just too big a hassle to get involved with. The places around the aft house bulkhead (up at the top) and the compway in particular would require a good deal of filleting and glass artistry to look right and be strong, so I said to heck with it.

What I DID do, was to cut a bunch of 1/2" holes here there and everywhere inside to go thru into the cavity/void between inner skin and liner (which varies from huge to nonexistent) and fill it in with a quasi-hi-density "Minimal Expanding Polyurethane" foam-in-a-can product...about a dozen cans worth! This seems to stiffen things up a bit at the aft house bulkheads (I felt they were a bit flimsy) and will hopefully prevent most if not all of the oilcanning nastiness that she had before in the areas where hardware was bolted thru. I suppose it adds a bit of insulation and even reserve buoyancy to the boat if we want to stretch it, but nothing to write home about.

Best,
Dave
mike_triton150

liner

Post by mike_triton150 »

I think the liner was added afterward since there's some deck hardware that was definitely added by the PO, & whose anchor bolts are between the liner & the inner skin.

In places there's a couple inches of "give" to the liner before I hit the top.

Should I rip this thing out? Try to remove it so it could be put back in?

Would anyone put a liner in their boat now?
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Personally, I hate having stuff stuck away where I cannot see it. SS Cap ("Acorn") nuts look nice, or if you don't like to see the protrusion you can pop the big bucks for the chromed bronze "barrel nuts" that look just like a screw head with a finish washer under. Wire runs, even, are not a bad thing to see right out in the open if they are nicely done with split loom or spiral wrap and plenty of cable clamps to make a nice clean job of it.

To me, the Triton and similar boats have as part of the appeal an inherently honest and unpretentious quality...you could get glossy and call it "industrial chic", I suppose...and if you look at a lot of old-school wood boats you see the same sort of unapolagetic exposure of the guts. These are after all "boats", "vessels"...not "yachts". I think it is nice to do a good clean job of making the boat nice as what it is rather than trying to make it something it never was and was never intended to be...but that is just one man's perspective of course.

If I had a boat without the awful molded factory liner, I don't think I'd put one in. There is no sense in hiding things that you want to see dripping if they are, or smoking, or whatever, in my book...as well as an ideal place for funk and mold and yick to grow! Besides, if it is gonna be right out there for everyone to see you'll do a cleaner job of it, which will translate into more care taken, which will translate often into a better job and/or a nicer, better layout of things. If the ripply appearance of the inner skin offends, well, have fun fairing. It's certainly do-able...although if you do, be real careful about grinding as that inner skin is awfully thin--maybe a better plan to use a scotchbrite cookie ("3M Surface Prep Disc") in a right-angle grinder to knock all the paint out of and rough up the low spots. Then...it sounds like a job for the Duraglass! Fair the whole fool thing for about 25 bucks!

My .02 for the day,
Dave
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Triton Cabin Liners

Post by Curmudgeon »

The liner would have to be a butt-ugly installation before I would consider removing it. I doubt that removal would be an easy process - there's probably lots of unseen sealant/epoxy/foam holding it in-place that'll make the job a nightmare. Also, there has to be some structural component to the liner that you'll have to compensate for if you rip it out. There's nothing to say that they didn't cut back on the fiberglass schedule somewhat, knowing that a liner would add to the final strength.

Your time would be better spent cutting access points into the liner to deal with your hardware issues. If there's a void between the liner and the cabin top in-way of deck hardware, fill the void and then thru-bolt. Re-routing the electrics shouldn't be a difficult task if you can't gain access to the existing stuff. When the work is done you could either fashion panels to cover the access points or reinstall what you cut out.

I have exactly the same issues you do with deck hardware and wiring (not a Triton) but never even considered removal as an option.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It sounds like you have an atypical situation in your Triton--though of course everything about the Triton production run is atypical, as we continually discover.

Without seeing the liner and the installation, it's impossible to really give good advice on whether or not to remove it or what have you. As far as any wiring inside it goes, I would just abandon it and rewire elsewhere. For hardware, use your judgement, I guess. I don't have that much critical hardware (hardly any) running through my liner, and have not found a problem with the few pieces that are bolted directly through. If you have a huge air space, you may need to fill it in way of your bolts, but that's a case-by-case situation.

Removing the liner seems like it would be a last-ditch choice. If you do, forget about putting it back in place--I'm sure you will destroy the liner in the process. Decide what you would do to finish the interior if you did remove the liner. You'll be faced with plenty of grinding and refinishing, to be sure. And what do you want it to look like when you're done? Personally, I loathe the raw painted fiberglass look and would do whatever it took (and did) to cover every last vestige. But that's just me, and everyone who knows me knows that I'm a freak anyway. (hehe) If that look is acceptable to you, then you are ahead of the game, so to speak, in terms of what you would do if you removed the liner.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating