Transporting Triton

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Transporting Triton

Post by Scott »

Well I've finally found myself a Triton! Trouble is it is in Conn. I'm in Nova Scotia. So now I am faced with the prospect of getting her to her new home. I would appreciate any advice fom those of you who have transported a boat of this size as to the type and size of trailer used, flatbed and cradle; or specially built; the hauling vehicle, and any dos or don't or just general advice as I embark on this enterprise. I thank you all in advance as I will no doubt be asking many questions as I begin her restoration in the coming months and years!
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Re: Transporting Triton

Post by bcooke »

Personally, I would find a good boat hauler and let them do it. The 'savings' in doing it yourself isn't as much as one might think. You have to buy a trailer, modify it or build a cradle, buy a tow vehicle, buy gas, take three days off work, get the boat on and then off the trailer... etc.

The exception would be if you plan on Trailering the Triton after the restoration. In that case plan on spending some decent money for good setup. Towing with the cheapest possible option gets old real fast and usually winds up costing a lot more in maintenance.

Is this the Triton that was just n Ebay four times in a row?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've towed several Tritons on a variety of trailers and over significant distances, on the following trailers: a flatbed-type car hauler, a custom Triad sailboat trailer built just for the specific boat, and a custom hydraulic trailer.

The first item of importance for your towing rig is killer brakes. If you're conceiving your own trailer, don't skimp on the brakes. Powerful brakes make all the difference in towing: the hard part of towing isn't getting going, or staying on the road, or moving the load--it's stopping it safely and efficiently.

You're looking at a total tow load of over 10,000 lb (boat plus trailer). It's a serious load, but well within the realm of today's heavy-duty trucks, as long as the vehicle is equipped with an appropriate hitch. Most stock receiver-type hitches you find on pickups and the like aren't rated high enough for this weight, so you may need to upgrade. Beware exceeding the GCVW of the tow vehicle.

Keep the boat as low as possible. Flatbed-type trailers put the boat a foot or two higher than a torsion axle-type trailer, which doesn't use a full-width axle and therefore can allow the keel to sit lower than it could otherwise. The lower the center of gravity, the better, but you'll have to work with what you have. Something to keep in mind when choosing a base trailer, or how to build something custom.

It'd be smart to build a trailer/cradle that would accept the standard Brownell jackstand adjustable screw tops. This is what Triad does, and it makes the trailer more versatile and adjustable.

Experiences:

I didn't like towing the flatbed car hauler much at all. The brakes were lousy, even when they worked (totally undersized), and the only saving grace for the trailer and its load was that the trailer was so long (35') that it tracked decently; a shorter version would have been squirrely, with the load so high and the tongue weight the way it was. I made a round-trip to Maryland with this trailer (loaded one way; unloaded the other)

The custom Triad trailer was excellent--good brakes, stable towing, boat mounted as low as possible. Highly recommended. I made a round-trip to Indiana with this trailer and boat.

My hydraulic trailer isn't really relevant, but it has brakes that would stop the space shuttle.

Towing is just ducky till something goes wrong, when the wrong rig can turn into a nightmare in a pair of seconds. So spend your money on excellent brakes and the right hitch, and don't underspec your tow vehicle either. Think about what might happen in a panic stop situation or other emergency-maneuvering situation, and consider how your proposed rig might handle it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

I have used SeaLand Industries in Chester Basin to haul my 35'er back to Nova Scotia. I was happy with the service they provided. They handled all the border issues as well. It wasn't cheap but I'd use them again.
I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.
Best of luck!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Post by tpl »

how about, putting the money into 2 weeks of
boat repair, and sailing her up? Closer to shore,
you're in a lee, and out of the worst current.
Big radar reflecter, handheld GPS and laptop
chartplotter is all you really need for fog.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses. As suggested, I have, or am considering doing what needs to be done to the boat and sailing her up, and will also look into having a professional hauler go get her as well. I have all winter to decide. Tim, that custom trailer looks pretty fine, what would something like that set a fellow back?
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Scott,
I moved a Triton from Tim's with the plan to sail her a much shorter distance. Three years later and it has yet to happen. I'm happy with where she is at and sail her every year while the restoration proceeds. However, if it is important to you to get your boat to Nova Scotia, consider having someone haul it there (that was Tim's advice to me at the time ; ) ). You'd have to call to check, but the CAT ferries vehicles and trailers of upto 50' for ca. $440 from Portland ME to Yarmouth NS. I don't know if they'll take boats, but you have until the start of their season in May to find out.

I've used CWC Boat Transport to move my Triton the last three years with very good success. They use hydraulic trailers that are gentle on the boat and are active in mid-coast Maine. You can Google them for more info.

David
Hulukupu

Post by Hulukupu »

PS- My dad crossed the Bay of Fundy several times in a small sailboat and sailed as far as Lunenberg Harbor. He was capsized there by a fishing trawler with clear skies. He always wanted to sail to Cape Breton, but never made it. He said it was a long-haul (from Mount Desert Island).
D
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

No doubt it would be a manageable sail to Nova Scotia from Conn. but it isn't a trip I'd like to make in late October - November in an unfamiliar boat. Fixing a boat in a hurry in a foriegn port isn't a treat either. I've had that experience... I'd drag it home somehow and spend my winter gathering supplies, measuring, figuring, scheming etc for the spring assault. Or cover it and start next week.
IMHO, sailing a boat that needs fixing up offshore before it's fixed up is asking for trouble.
Best of luck,
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hi, I forgot to respond to the question as to whether or not the boat I bought was the one on Ebay, and the answer is yes. Hull number 227. Does anyone know this boat at all, or the history of it? As for the crossing to Nova Scotia, I have made it before from Portland Maine on an Ericson 29 I purchased in Auburn. We sailed to Lobster Bay, then up to St. Margaret's Bay where I keep the boat. The following year we brought her up to the Bras d'Or Lake here in Cape Breton where I now live. It was the first time I spent a night at sea in a small boat and was quite addicting.
I certainly wouldn't have any problem doing it again, but I would certainly make sure the boat was seaworthy and the proper safety measures were in place. I can't say we were that well founded the first time.
I am going to Conn. probably next week, to give the boat a good going over to assess whether she is even a candidate for a potential crossing. I suspect not for the money I paid for her, but you never know.
Scott
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Congrats on #227.

From what I saw of the Ebay listing, the boat is quite a ways from being able to sail away. Maybe I didn't look too hard though.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hulukupu

Post by Hulukupu »

Yes, congrats on 227- that was quite a prolonged period of bidding and re-bidding.

I'm glad to know it will go to someone bent on restoring her!

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The PO of that boat was on this board for a while; search for posts by "triton #227". I don't know if you'll find anything of value or not, but it's a start.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating