EasyPoxy Washing

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

EasyPoxy Washing

Post by Ganges #363 »

My EasyPoxy jade green topsides really need cleaning. What is the best way to do this? My boat is in the water, brushing with boat soap and water isn't doing the job very well. The paint job is about three years old, not expecting miracles, just a clean look.

Bill
Ganges #363
Adam
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Re: EasyPoxy Washing

Post by Adam »

Best I've found with my EasyPoxy deck is any of the powdered Oxalic Acid cleaners. You sometimes have to read the lables to recognise it - and sometimes it is sold as a teak cleaner, but it works very well. Note, I've had much better luck with the powdered type vs the liquid type....
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Adam wrote:...any of the powdered Oxalic Acid cleaners. You sometimes have to read the lables to recognise it - and sometimes it is sold as a teak cleaner, but it works very well. Note, I've had much better luck with the powdered type vs the liquid type....

Oxalic acid is almost impossible to get up here in Quebec.
All the guys in the hardware stores just roll their eyes, and say "you can't get that stuff any more".

As you say, I did luck out by reading labels, and I found a product intended for cleaning patios and backyard decks. It described itself as "Wood Cleaner and Brightener", and the first two ingredients were phosphoric acid and oxalic acid.

It was only $10 or 20 for a gallon, and it is concentrated (to be diluted 4:1), so much more cost-effective than buying a quart of 'teak cleaner' at the swindlery.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Ganges #363

Post by Ganges #363 »

Thanks for the tips. I would have never thought of oxalic acid. I've used it for many years to bleach wood. We find the granulated variety very easily in California in hardware stores. It's much more effective when mixed into very warm water. It seems a little bit strong for paint, but I'll try a very dilute solution.

Bill
Ganges #363