Looking for advice

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Looking for advice

Post by Gordon »

Hi, I am preparing to take the boat from Cape Cod down towards the Caribbean within the next few days; this is my first long distance trip and I'm looking for what to expect between here and North Carolina. Anyone made this trip around this time of year?

Thanks
Gordon
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Looking for advice

Post by Rachel »

Hi Gordon,

I've made the trip a couple of times at this time of year (on a relatively bigger boat - 64'). The weather can be nasty and it gets quite cold at night on watch. The Gulf Stream warrants close attention, as does the weather in general.

I don't want to sound negative, but I would be very cautious about using it as a "shake down" trip for a new boat (not sure if this applies), or as a first long-distance, offshore (or near-coastal) sail.

Rachel
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Rachel,
I planned to be there by now but things never seem to happen as quickly as planned. This will be a first long distance trip for both Amnesty and me. I really want to leave asap but not at the cost of putting the boat or myself in danger. Been in some pretty dicey trials up here, just don't like unpleasant surprises.
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Post by tpl »

> Cape Cod to North Carolina

in early dec '95 we sailed from New York to N.C.: suggest long hops
offshore, with minimum stops

1. if coming down L.I.Sound--not recommended--get tide right at Hellgate
2. do not recommend Delaware Bay-->Cheseapeake: much faster
offshore
3. give Cape Hatteras a good offing--round Diamond Shoals
4. recommend Beaufort/Morehead City as safe harbor with good
facilities--round Cape Lookout well off, enter from South

aside from the weather and so forth--as Rachel says--my most vivid
memory is fitting the self-steering over on New Jersey side, with 3
young Frenchwomen who happened to be there admiring the twin towers
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I should clarify that I was referring to sailing "straight" down to the Caribbean, not coast hopping (that is, I have not coast hopped this route).

Gordon, I totally understand how getting ready can take longer than you had planned. I once ended up spending an entire hurricane season in San Diego (i.e. until the next fall) when a "late April" departure fell victim to life events. At least it was relatively warm there.

Rachel

PS: I'm not sure if it's okay to mention here, but you might try posting your query on the CSBB. That board can be a bit less "civilized" than this one, so you might need to don your thicker skin; but on the plus side there are a number of folks on there with a fair bit of experience on the route you're contemplating.