Glueing wood to formica

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Glueing wood to formica

Post by danielguiod »

I am installing solid wood paneling in my Triton.I've taken everything removable into the shop,stripped off the formica and glued on the wood. now I've come to the forward bulkhead and am wondering if there is an alternative. I know I can get the formica off,even though the bond is still tight, but getting the old contact cement off is a mess. So has anyone successfully glued wood to the finished face of formica? I'm assuming that glueing wood to formica in different than glueing formica to wood. Thanks Dan
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Re: Glueing wood to formica

Post by bigd14 »

I did this on some countertops to install tile over the top. I first sanded with 36 grit, then scored the heck out of with a sharpened paint scraper. Really tore into it to rough it up. I used mastic which seemed to hold up just fine. You could probably use some kind of liquid nails panel glue or some other type of adhesive.

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Screws.

Solid wood shrinks and swells. Plywood bulkheads do not. Liquid nails is a flexible adhesive so that might work but screws are still much more secure and allow the wood to move.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

danielguiod wrote:I am installing solid wood paneling in my Triton.
Hmmm, what is solid wood paneling? When I think paneling, I think sheets of plywood covered in a veneer.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I took 'solid wood paneling' to be cuts of wood laid next to one another to cover the space and that is what my post was geared towards.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Wood veneer with contact cement would be easy
Bruce
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

It is hard to get contact cement to stick to the shiny side of Formica. I know; I tried when I rebuilt my kitchen counter. I roughed up the existing Formica with 60 grit sandpaper and still was unable to get a good bond. There is a reason Formica advises not trying to bond one piece of Forrmica to another.
Al Lorman
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by danielguiod »

What I'm using is 1/4" thick X 4" wide mahogany. I think it's similar to what Britton is doing in cherry.
sail_fix
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Fresh Air
Boat Type: Olson 34

Post by sail_fix »

I used West System epoxy to glue down a new galley counter top. Maybe a little too permanent (?); in another 20 years the next owner can change it if he wishes...
:(
Original was removed in one piece with lots of thin wedges and steady assault with a heat gun. It was then used for a pattern.

I would have used the normal contact cement, but needed to be able to move the new piece around a sixteenth or so for perfect fit in an area partly under a cabinet. Once located accurately it was weighted down and left for several hours. Looks great - but then I would say that.

BTW, if you rough up that "plastic" surface with a little 60 or 80 grit I betcha the adhesive will adhere OK.

Cheers,
LB
Mark F
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Mark F »

Hi Dan,

You should be able to use construction adhesive. I used polyurethane construction adhesive to glue 5/16" thick redwood to the interior gel coat sides of an Ericson 23. I first tested by gluing a small piece to a spot and left it for a day. It took a chisel to get it off.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Dan,

I agree with Mark. I have used polyurethane construction adhesive to glue wood to a surface covered with Formica after roughing up the Formica surface with a 36 grit sanding disc to give the Formica some tooth. It is there to stay! :-)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by danielguiod »

Thanks for all the ideas. I will take some of the Formica I've already stripped of and do some tests with polyurethane glue. Dan