Location of bow cleat and chocks

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rick
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Location of bow cleat and chocks

Post by Rick »

Hi all -

I've finished repairing and painting my Aquarius A21 and have begun reinstalling the deck hardware. Here's a picture of the former location of the bow cleat and chocks

I'd like to move the chocks forward and on top of the toerails. Should I also move the cleat back to get a better angle from the line, although it will be more of an obstacle for the jib and our toes! Is there any formula for locating them on the bow? I'm replacing the cleat, but unsure of the correct length. I was thinking of 7" with a large backing plate.

Thanks
Rick
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Location of bow cleat and chocks

Post by Hirilondë »

If you can drill holes through the toe rail and access the other side to attach the washers and nuts then I like the new location better. It will work better at anchor and at mooring as you will have less chafing and a better lead angle to reduce swaying. Way too manyy boats have their chocks too far aft IMO and it leads to trouble, especially in a good blow. For use at the dock it really doesn't matter much, at least not as much. I don't see how moving the cleat improves anything. If the present location isn't in the way of anything I would leave it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks for the info Dave. I can drill through the toe rails, so I will install the chocks there. I read somewhere that the line entering the cleat should be as close as possible to 15 degrees. That's why I was thinking of moving the cleat aft. Do the chocks take enough of the strain, so keeping the cleat near the bow and away from toes, etc is OK?
Rick
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'd certainly move the chocks forward. Bow chocks belong close to the stem.

If it were me, I'd remount the cleat a bit further aft too. I'd do it because experience tells me it's right and will work better, not because of a supposed optimal angle criterion--but they more or less amount to the same thing in the end, as it happens.

If you're worried about toe-stubbing, consider installing a pair of cleats closer to the rails, rather than a single one in the center. You can work out the leads you want based on the chock on the opposite side.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I have cleats both port and starboard as well as one on the centerline. The port and starboard cleats allow for a very fair lead to the chocks on the opposite side from the cleat if needed.

Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to move the chocks to the toerail near the stem, and install starboard & port cleats.
Rick