Jack stands or boat stands..what size do I need

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David

Jack stands or boat stands..what size do I need

Post by David »

I am bringing my Bristol 29 home to my side yard next month for a refit. I've located a hauler with a hydraulic trailer to move her, but I am now puzzling over which size jack stands to buy. She draws 4-1/2 feet from the waterline (very similar to the Triton) and will be blocked, I understand, on 12 inch blocks.

In looking over the Brownell website, it seems that the middle size jack stands, the SB-2's at 48 - 65 inches seems about right. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

A Triton, drawing 4', sits best with the smaller SB3 stands (35" - 52"). However, the larger SB2 stands also work, though they often end up sitting on the boottop, depending on the blocking. I prefer my stands to be down lower if possible. 12" blocking is pretty typical.

With your 4.5' draft, the SB2s are probably the right choice. The Triton happens to be at that awkward transition point. You could use either with success on your Bristol, I imagine.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I need to amend this. It turns out that the SB2 stands are the ones I have been using, and that work well for boats of about 4-5' draft. For some reason, I was confusing things. Apologies.

The SB2 would definitely be the right choice for the Bristol, or a Triton, or even the P-323.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating