Bottom paint

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
JoeC
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: windchime
Boat Type: seasprite

Bottom paint

Post by JoeC »

Hello everyone, first time on site....great amount of expertise and experience here......have question on bottom paint...would like to hear your experience with ablative bottom paint...what brand gives the best results and lasts the longest....Thanks for your help
Joe
Seasprite #679
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Bottom paint

Post by Rachel »

Hi Joe, and welcome!

When it comes to bottom paint (and to many things on boats), there really isn't one "best." Rather, it's usually more like: "It depends."

Can you tell us a bit more, such as where you keep your boat, how you store it, whether you have a certain color in mind, etc.? Those things make a difference in the case of bottom paint.

And of course feel free to post photos of your Sea Sprite :)

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The whole point of ablative bottom paint is that is does not last, it wears off. I use Micron Extra and I am very pleased with it. Because it wears off you do not get the build up like with hard paints. Therefore I will never have to go through the removal process like I did when I bought the boat that resulted in 8 gallons of paint chips from the scraping phase. There are a few different ablatives, so finding the best one for your area is not an exact science. But I am happy with my choice.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
JoeC
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: windchime
Boat Type: seasprite

Post by JoeC »

Thanks...the boat is located on the Chesepeake Bay...usually leave in water year round..color red or
black
Attachments
asailtest3.jpg
asailtest3.jpg