Cabin dropleaf table

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rick
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Cabin dropleaf table

Post by Rick »

I've redesigned the interior of my Aquarius 21 to accomodate my family of 4. The next step is to install a dropleaf table over the centerboard trunk. The original design had a built-in galley on the port side of the cb trunk and a dropleaf table on the starboard side that was 4' long. It was supported by the galley and a board on top of the cb trunk toward the bow. This board had a 2x4 that was glued to the bottom, inserted into the cb trunk and then held by 2 bolts (enabling removal for access to the cb when it inevitably got stuck in the trunk). Here are some pictures of the cb trunk and the forward board.

I've got a nice mahogany board (2x5) for the center of the table. I'm planning on attaching plywood leaves to both sides. My question is what is the best way to secure the board to the top on the cb trunk. It needs to be removable for access to the cb and to support the cb winch. One option would be to attach another 2x4 to the bottom and insert it into the cb aft section of the cb trunk to bolt it on (as with the forward section). I'd also epoxy two boards (2x2?) to the upper sides of the cb trunk to provide additional support for the table. FYI, I've got 2 kids - 10 & 8 - who tend to lean heavily on everything, chairs, tables, etc.

What do you think?
Rick
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Cabin dropleaf table

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Sounds like you have a good solution. One change you might consider is to bolt the table down to the stiffeners you're epoxying to the sides of the trunk, rather than replicating the sideways bolts of the old assembly. Bolts could be flathead machine screws into nuts that were captive in the stringers so that they would be easy to access and not be ugly. Having to lift the leaves and work underneath to bolt and unbolt would not be convenient. The classic furniture style half round / half cove joint between table and leaf is not necessary; a piano hinge and square edges is fine. As for the active little leaners, think through the hinged brackets that support the leaves when open; should be easy enough to make them adequately strong.