In hull transducer vs thru hull

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

In hull transducer vs thru hull

Post by cdawgs65 »

What are the going opinions on in hull transducers vs thru hull transducers? Raymarine has depth displays that work with both. thanks in advance
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: In hull transducer vs thru hull

Post by Hirilondë »

I already had a hole, so I went with a thru-hull version. There is definitely something good to say about not drilling holes in boats below the water line.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I installed a Raymarine ST 40 with the standard transducer that is designed for mounting through the hull but epoxied it inside and it works fine. I agree there are enough holes already. Any transducer of good quality should be able to shoot through the hull as long as it is solid glass.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

The PO of Blossom installed a thru hull type of ducer. It works fine. The advantage of the thru hull type of ducer is that they can be installed plumb by using wedge shaped backing plates on both side of the hull. The disadvantage is that there is another hole in the hull and that there is extra drag from the ducer and the wedge. Although you can install ducer plumb in hull as well I went with a simpler installation of epoxying the ducer straight to the hull. As a result it is installed at an angle of 25 to 30 degrees to plumb. Although this type of installation introduces a bit of measuring error due to the angle it should not matter in most type of navigation (my opinion, of course). I esitmate the error is approximately 10% only on a hull that is approximately 25 to 30 degrees from horizontal (see my other thread for more detailed discussion - http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... f=4&t=4678) which means if the depth guage shows 10 ft it could be only 9 ft, not a big deal.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Triton106 wrote:The advantage of the thru hull type of ducer is that they can be installed plumb by using wedge shaped backing plates on both side of the hull. The disadvantage is that there is another hole in the hull and that there is extra drag from the ducer and the wedge.
You can buy transducers that mount flush and have the angle built in. I had 3 options of angles for the one I bought and chose the one that aimed the closest to straight down.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

I installed my ST40 transducer on my boat, a CS27, ahead of the keel on the centerline. After checking it in a baggie of water I built a dam around the area and poured in straight epoxy. Next day I epoxied the transducer on the new flat section after again checking with a baggie of water. It is also under the aft end of the V berth so is not in the way.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

You can buy transducers that mount flush and have the angle built in. I had 3 options of angles for the one I bought and chose the one that aimed the closest to straight down.
You are absolutely right Dave. In my case the PO installed an inhull unit that did not work and it does not have an angled design so I just reinstalled it with epoxy. If I were to buy a new unit I would have done it differently.
I installed my ST40 transducer on my boat, a CS27, ahead of the keel on the centerline. After checking it in a baggie of water I built a dam around the area and poured in straight epoxy. Next day I epoxied the transducer on the new flat section after again checking with a baggie of water. It is also under the aft end of the V berth so is not in the way.
That's also a great solution. In my case, I reserve that space for a future water tank so it was ruled out.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

Ray
My water tank if farther forward and I will have to drill a hole for the speed/log/temp transducer quite close to the depth transducer.