Why is it?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Why is it?

Post by Skipper599 »

... Why is it, whenever I open this forum there's never anyone else on it? ... I always check to see and it only ever shows myself and no other members or guests ... no matter what time of day or night .... I suppose you are all too busy working on your boat projects ... which raises another question: How do all these threads occur if nobody but me is ever here?

... A reminder to all who are located in the great NW ... the "Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival" takes place in two weeks time ... Sept 10, 11 & 12th. ... does anyone have any plans to attend??? I shall make my annual pilgrimmage on Friday the 10th.

... Living in BC Canada, means I need to get up very early in order to cross the border about 6am before the crowds get there. ... And then for a leisurely 2hr drive down I-5 and over to Whidbey Island where I shall walk-on the Keystone Ferry that will take me on a 30min cruise to Port Townsend. ... Once there, I shall go to my favourite little restaurant for a big breakfast of Ham 'n Eggs to fortify me for the next few hours, while I wander and gawk at those beautiful works of art floating in the harbour. ... After a full day of this, I shall depart on the 5pm ferry and start my return trip, stopping for a great dinner at "The Farmhouse" restaurant near La Conner ... and then head for home, crossing the border again at around 9pm.

... I've been doing this for the past 10 years and never get tired of it ... great little place, wonderful people and a "one-day mini vacation" ... Maybe I'll take lots of pics and put them on a website (don't know how to do that, but I guess I can learn) for those of you who would like to visit too, but just cannot get there in person. ... Would there be any interest in that?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Re: Why is it?

Post by Peter »

Bob,
I've also noticed that too, and came to the conclusion that when I'm reading the forum everyone else east of here is in bed sleeping!

I've been going to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival for many years too. But I take a different route: I sail from Pedder Bay (12 miles west of Victoria) and usually make it in about 10 hours. We generally go over on Friday, stay at Boat Haven Marina Friday and Saturday nights, and leave early Sunday morning.

Our favorite supply depot is The Food Coop and our favorite watering hole is the Port Townsend Brewery outlet at the back of the marina parking lot.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... OK Peter, ... I'll look for you ... I'll be the old fart wearing a Tilley Hat if its a hot day. ... Or, a Greek Fishermans Cap if it's cooler !!! ... See you there.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Skipper599 wrote:... Why is it, whenever I open this forum there's never anyone else on it? ... I always check to see and it only ever shows myself and no other members or guests ... no matter what time of day or night .... I suppose... ?
1. Hotel California.
2. Hal.
3. Matrix.
4. Tim has a sick sence of humor and there are no other members to this forum except you.

Seriously, If I didn't live half a continent away I'd like nothing better than spend a day doing just what you are describing. If you do post pictures, and I'd be happy to help coach (PM me if you need), I will look at them and read about them. Yes there is interest. And I'll probably be wearing a ball cap with an emblem on the front.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... OK, I'm a liar! ... just for once, there's one other person on here today ... Come on Bhartley, don't just quietly cruise through the postings, write something. Who are you? Have you posted here before? What project are you working on? ... and for how long? I hope someone has been working on their project longer than me ... my wife said if I don't launch it next year she's calling the boat mover !!!
Well, let me just say this ... I am the master in this house and, everything my wife says ... shall be done. (yes dear).

David, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. BTW do you wear your ball cap for'ad or aft?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'