Looking for some advice/tips on interior layout ;)

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rich P
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Raider
Boat Type: Sadler 25

Looking for some advice/tips on interior layout ;)

Post by Rich P »

Hello there, its been a while since I posted, I've been on a long hiatus from my restoration project: http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 296#p43296

Due to work and lack of motivation, I now have more time to pursue this and due to a looming prospect of redundancy, the motivation to carry it through!

What I am after is some advice on a workable interior layout with the space I have on the boat, just thoughts and ideas from people who have done this before, I intend to take out some of my previous work as now I've come back to it, I'm not happy with all of it.

The boat will mainly be used for single handed cruising, but I will have one or two guests fairly often so I need a minimum of 3 berths, a double berth for in port would be nice. (The V-Berth?)

Just to make it easier for you to picture it I'll throw in some rough dimensions:
Beam is 9.6ft LOA is 24ft

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That shows the original layout, for my purposes I can change this a lot, as you can see I have a lot of beam in the main cabin, but not an awful lot of length. I can't really move the main bulkhead as the shrouds are anchored to it and it also has an integral mast compression post.

I'll need to have a quarterberh on at least one side to an extent because I'm 6'4'' and won't fit completely laid down in the main cabin!

The features I'm trying to incorporate are 3 berths, some form of double berth (v-berth, sliding, another idea?) a modest galley, needs my two burner stove and hopefully room for a sink and cupboards as well, lots of storage (make good use of the beam) and the hard one, I really really would like a decent chart table which with my limited room doesn't seem practical unless I can come up with some crafty idea.

Now that I've typed this all out, I've realised how ambiguous a question this is so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but if anyone does have any thoughts that would be great :)

(There are some photos of the WIP interior on the link above, to get an idea of what the space looks like)
Preparing a small boat for offshore sailing.
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 711#p44711
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Looking for some advice/tips on interior layout ;)

Post by Duncan »

Rich P wrote:...I really really would like a decent chart table which with my limited room doesn't seem practical unless I can come up with some crafty idea...
Chart table - I think one of the "craftiest ideas" I've seen is the one on my Cape Dory 27. The table sits on posts which are offset from the centerline. This means that "normally" the table is closer to the port settee, and leaves room to squeeze by going forward. In this position, it can serve as a chart table.

For use as a dining table, the top can be lifted off the posts, turned 180 degrees, and reset in the middle, so that it is also accessible as a table for someone sitting on the opposite (starboard) settee.

Here's a photo in the "chart table" position. Note that this leaves the bulkhead free for a navigation rack and for a cabin heater.

It can also be set sideways (ok, "athwartship") on only one of the posts. It needs a little support on the end over the settee, but this can be provided by a bag of gear, or perhaps a short wooden support for the purpose. This provides clear space on the centerline, but preserves the flat surface to use for navigation/other work.

Finally, the posts themselves are removable, which provides the option of either stowing the table to give a clear space, or of using it up in the cockpit.
Last edited by Duncan on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

That sounds like a great setup -pictures please! :)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

MikeD wrote:That sounds like a great setup -pictures please! :)
Haha, beat me to it, pls see photo I edited into the post above.

Here's the kind of post it sits on: Posi-Lock Table Post

The base can be recessed, which would really help with the idea of removing the table and using it in the cockpit, but I haven't done this yet. This would require two recessed bases in the cockpit sole, which are available separately.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Here's a pretty crafty idea. It is from this boat (26'). http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/vic ... a%2026.htm

All the boats on this site show many interior pictures. The Brits usually manage to work a chart table in somewhere. http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives.htm
Attachments
1b.jpg
1a.jpg
Rich P
Master Varnisher

Post by Rich P »

Thanks for the advice :)
I'll look into those tables, that Victoria 26 method I don't think would work for me though, as I wouldn't have room for a galley :).

I could fit one against the bulkhead where my L-Shaped berth is, but as I intend to go cruising, I think that L-shaped berth would be great 'lounging area'.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rich P wrote:...I'll need to have a quarterberh on at least one side to an extent because I'm 6'4'' and won't fit completely laid down in the main cabin!

The features I'm trying to incorporate are 3 berths, some form of double berth (v-berth, sliding, another idea?) a modest galley, needs my two burner stove and hopefully room for a sink and cupboards as well, lots of storage (make good use of the beam)...
Moving on from the chart table to the sleeping arrangements, it looks your long berth is probably going to go on the port side. You could perhaps make this a generous single by infilling to the depth of your lounging area, but only you can tell if that would be worth doing.

For your occasional double (and considering your height) I think the best trick is to get the head underneath the middle or the port side of the v-berth, so you can reclaim that space.

Two burners on your stove? You going to heat up stuff from two different cans?? ;-)
I only use one burner 95% of the time, so I would use a single-burner gimballed stove mounted on the bulkhead.This also allows for additional counter space, which is what I find is missing in most galleys, anyway.

You can take this further by using a cooler instead of a built-in icebox, and a basin for washing, instead of a sink. Presto - your galley is now a countertop with lots of space, and you have an additional preparation surface on top of the cooler. Before and after mealtimes, you could even use the galley countertop for a chart table!

As far as general storage goes, I would use sectional cushions on the settees, since they make it easier to get at the space underneath. You might also consider bulkheading off the aft section of your other quarterberth for a cockpit locker.
mitiempo wrote:All the boats on this site show many interior pictures. The Brits usually manage to work a chart table in somewhere. http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives.htm
Thanks for that link, I had done lots of looking there before, but then forgot the coordinates. A bonus is that they are mostly European boats, and my impression is those are 'craftier' than North American boats when it comes to useful ways of using interior space.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rich P
Master Varnisher

Post by Rich P »

Thanks, liking the thoughts so far!
As for the cooker, its one I've inherited with 2 burners, grill and oven, seemed a shame to waste it?

The idea's on this Sabre 27 seem ok:
http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/sab ... bre-27.htm

That way I can keep two quarterberths :)

I hate sharing chart space, especially when you doing a lot of pilotage and you want a cuppa? :)