SWIFTSURE 33

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

SWIFTSURE 33

Post by Sailordave »

I know where I can get one for a song. ($2K) Looks pretty decent, survey from a few years back didn't find anything REAL bad. Boat has been sitting on the hard for a few years and the widow wants to get rid of it.
Any thoughts on these boats? Things to look out for?
Anyone interested if I pass on this boat?
Attachments
MainCabinAft.jpg
Exterior1.jpg
SailboatforSalea.jpg
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: SWIFTSURE 33

Post by Rachel »

That looks like the less-common, later "Commodore" version built by Fokker. Among other things, the centerboard cable mechanism was moved (as compared to the "regular" Swiftsure) so that the saloon was a bit more open.

The Swiftsure Owners Association had some information on the Commodore, but it seems as though it may be defunct. I may have a copy of an old brochure, but my computer is in the shop at the moment.

As far as I know, the decks are cored, but the cabin tops are not. It looks like that boat has teak decks, so I would be extra suspect about the core. I don't know about the Commodore, but the boats built at DeVries Lentsch tended to have a "plastered" overhead that was prone to peeling, and it seems that owners made any number of "fixes" over the years.

Others may know more specifics; I would say at least the "usual" things on a plastic classic, plus the additional centerboard considerations (vs. a fixed keel boat).

I would plan on a fairly extensive project, if it were me. Of course that depends on your tolerance for sailing with things "as is."

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

She's certainly pretty enough to be worth some trouble! Check carefully her troubles vs your tolerance, money and skill.

I've opined before (until the Flying Dutchman project) that my cheap or free boats ended up costing more than the one's I'd paid for.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Quetzalsailor wrote: I've opined before (until the Flying Dutchman project) that my cheap or free boats ended up costing more than the one's I'd paid for.
This is true of houses, cars, planes and many other big ticket items. Many have a hard time understanding this, but don't doubt it for a minute.

Pretty boat though, I would certainly check into it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Went and looked at this boat today (along w/ two others...) Woo-Boy. What a project boat.
Treadmaster nonskid (lifting at the corners) No teak decks fortunately. Wire reel halyards/winches. Roller furling wooden boom. Bottom looked pretty gnarly.
I guess if I had a shop like Tim's and lived near the water this would be a pretty cool project boat. I don't, so no thanks.
Still, w/ a P. Rhodes pedigree and nice lines...
BTW the centerboard mechanism was accessed from the port cockpit locker. Had a fitting in the side of the cockpit well to put the crank in.
Attachments
DSC_0076a.jpg
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

I don't know... with my rose colored glasses it doesn't look all that bad. I've always been a Rhodes fan, but if I brought home a 3rd old boat - well, at least I'd have a choice of where to stay.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Sailor Simon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: AURORA
Boat Type: Swiftsure 33

Post by Sailor Simon »

I've just bought a Swiftsure 33. AURORA. First looks leave the impression that mine, (8 years inside a barn) is in better condition than the vesel in the photo. Mine is in "a thousand" parts in 4 barns on a farm. But I have the former owner acting as "head contractor", so far so good... A hull up restoration involving a couple of thousand hours. The restoration will be involving a bird poop coated vessel, Cindella-ing herself into a glinting gem with all the condiments that I can sprinkle on her. Just like that, right? Like some guy said: "what the boat wants, the boat gets", it's almost like there's a "eh Heffe?" involved there somewhere... I LOVE IT. Sailor Simon

ps email me for simplicity simonminc@rogers.com
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

keelbolts wrote:... with my rose colored glasses...
Rhodes colored glasses?

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I wear Rhodes colored glasses all the time ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

They make the sheerline of every boat take on just the perfect proportions ;)