I.D. this cute little boat?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

I.D. this cute little boat?

Post by ILikeRust »

I walk past this little boat every time I head out onto the dock to my boat or back, and every time I stop and check it out.

She's in rougher shape than she appears in the photos - paint is peeling all over; wood is all weatherbeaten; plenty of growth on the hull; etc.

She's about 16-18 feet long, I'd say. Based on her styling, I'd guess she's from the mid 1960s(?)

I really like her lines - she's got a very pretty sheer. I can envision her all fixed up - she would make a sweet little camp cruiser, great for single-handing on a nice day. I just think her current state of neglect is a bit of a shame; she really could be a very pretty little boat. But the marina owner tells me the owners are up-to-date on their slip fees and the registration sticker is up to date - although I'm doubting she ever leaves the slip. Just doesn't make sense to me to buy a nice little boat and pay slip fees to let it just sit there and accumulate growth and fade in the sun.

So - anybody know what she is?
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Re: I.D. this cute little boat?

Post by bhartley »

Sea Sprite 23.
ILikeRust
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

What took you so long?

I guess I underestimated its length. It looks no more than about 18 feet, from the dock.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Post by carterskemp »

there were two models made, the weekender, like the one pictured and the daysailor. I like the daysailer model myself as it has a far bigger cockpit. both models sail like a dream.
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

For reference, the white sailboat in the next slip appears to be a BALBOA 20. The SEA SPRITE may look less than 23' (actually, 22'6") due to her short (about 16'3") waterline. As others have said, a great sailing boat, I've never sailed aboard one, but have been passed by a couple of them! I have been aboard a few at various boat shows, and even toured the builder's facitiy back when they were built at Wickford Shipyard in Rhode Island (guess I'm dating myself with that comment!). That would have been back around 1974-76, just before one was sailed singlehanded across the Atlantic. Did anyone mention that this little gem is another Carl Alberg Design? She is! Another little sister to the TRITON.
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21