Seaward VS Force 10 stoves...

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Seaward VS Force 10 stoves...

Post by Zach »

Hi Guys,

Looking at some propane stove choices for Pylasteki.

What have you to say about Seaward Princess lineup, vs the Force 10 lineup.

Also curious to hear how the three burner models work on such a small stove.

Thanks much,

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Seaward VS Force 10 stoves...

Post by Rachel »

Zach, are you looking at stoves with ovens? Or just stovetops? Might as well comment on what you are actually considering, if I can.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Rachel,

Thanks for the question... Looking at 2 and 3 burner stoves with ovens, gimbaled.

Thanks,

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, well I have not used a Seaward, but I have lived aboard with two propane ranges: a Shipmate (no longer made, I don't believe) and a Force 10 (two-burner/oven).

I really liked the Force 10 a lot. The only thing I changed is to buy different pot clamps (also made by Force 10; just not the ones that came on the stove - details in a post I made in a thread Ray started). I did quite a bit of baking -- bread, cookies, cakes, pizza -- and found the oven to work quite well. The one thing is that for most even baking I would turn the items halfway through the baking time. I had a kitchen timer with two timer functions, so I would set one for the full baking time and one for the halfway point. But then I think many people would check something partway through anyway. (The Shipmate was the same, by the way.)

One thing I really, really liked about the Force 10 was the way the top of the stove was a grid of parallel bars (vs. a smooth top with protruding round burner grates). This was good not only for cooking (could shift pots around), but also for things like setting an egg down so it wouldn't roll (this would work whether or not the stove was actively gimballing; I mostly kept it locked in non-gimballing position). In fact I often used the stove top as a handy counter top, holding beverage glasses, etc. in place with pot clamps. Also, the whole top hinged up for cleaning underneath it.

Another nice feature was that the oven door kind of swung down and under when it was opened. This kept it from suddenly filling up the whole galley and also made it less prone to tipping forward (when gimballed). The oven door handle also locks the oven door closed (you kind of tilt it when you grab it and then you can open the oven door). Also, the oven door handle did not have any ends to catch on (it's u-shaped).

Both this stove and the Shipmate were already on the boat(s) when I got them, so I never chose or purchased a range; but I would choose a Force 10 again.

One thing I have heard about (vaguely), and which might be worth looking into, is how the various ovens work in terms of thermostatic control. It seems that it's not always as straightforward or precise as home ovens.

For myself, I can't imagine having a 3-burner on a boat the size of a Triton, but then maybe that's because I'm used to two-burners. I never really felt the need for a third burner, but two was nice. I suppose one could get used to three too :) In the Force 10 line, check out the European sub-compacts (available in the US - I think Defender has them) as they are very compact.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

We've had a Seaward Stove for 11 years and it has been flawless. We cook a lot and bake regularly. It's a 2 burner and that seems sufficient. We liked the Force 10 but didn't want to pay the extra $$$ at that time. Either would be fine, I believe the Force 10 is the premium brand.
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

Zach,

I recently purchased a used Force10 two burner range. Although I don't have any real experiencce with using either the Force10 or the Seaward Princesses what made the decision for me is that the later is not entirely made of stainless steel. The oven is made of porcelain enamel coating. Some Seaward Princesses dealer or user tell me that they will last my lifetime. I have no reason to believe that they are not right but I have seen some older Princess stoves with porcelain oven that have signs of rust.

The only thing I will change on my Force10 is the pot holders based on Rachel's suggestion. The ones that came with the stove are kind of "whimppy".

Best,
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I have had a Force 10 3 burner with oven since about 1999. It is a European model as it was purchased for a UK built boat, although my current boat is Canadian Made. Mine pre-dates the thermostat for the oven and the glass oven door now offered but I have not had a problem keeping the oven at the correct temperature - after it is up to temp I just turn the control back a bit. It is very well built and I have no doubt it will last another decade or two.

I like the hinging top and as Rachel says because the whole top is covered with the bars you can move a pot anywhere. The oven grill (top burner) is great for browning or getting the oven up to temp fast. The auto light works well, powered by one AA battery which lasts for years.

One note if you are trying to decide between 2 or 3 burner. The 2 burner has less depth by about 5 1/2" but if gimballed the cutout is only about 1" deeper for the 3 burner because of the sloped lower back of the stove. That was the reason I went with the 3 burner.

The European models are 1 5/8" narrower than the standard models.

Force 10 was a local company, based outside of Vancouver B.C. but is now a subsidiary of the French company Groupe Eno. Their manufacturing is still in B.C. Even before being purchased by Eno they were found on boats worldwide, including Swan.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

My wife found a used Plastimo Atlantic for me for Christmas from a consignment shop. It seems to work fine, its got an oven and two burners. I'm looking forward to installing it and am curious as to anyone's experiences with these units.
Steve
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

My Seaward is all stainless exterior, enamalled inside. Absolutely no signs of corrosion. I think Force 10 may be better but the Seaward seems to be good enough! Either beats cooking on a Coleman in the cockpit and I've done that too!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Zach

Post by Zach »

Thanks guys, sounds like they both are good choices. Surprising when it comes to marine gear... (Grin!)

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton