teak cleaning

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

teak cleaning

Post by Brodie »

The interior of my "new" boat is entirely oiled teak. Most of it is in very good shape, but it all needs a good cleaning. Some areas, particularly the companionway ladder and the trim just inside the companionway, are discolored. What would be the best thing to use to clean the discolored areas, and also to just give the rest of the interior a good cleaning before putting on some teak oil?
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: teak cleaning

Post by Duncan »

There is quite a good guide to oil finishes here. There's also a good one in The Hinckley Guide to Yacht Care (which is a much more down-to-earth and practical book than the snooty title might suggest).

I would sand down the discoloured areas, and rebuild the finish as described. A lot of people just wipe on some new oil every season, but I think this ends up being more work for less results in the long run.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Duncan wrote:I would sand down the discoloured areas, and rebuild the finish as described.
That's fine on solid teak, but be very careful on the plywood. The veneer is not very thick.

Lemon juice is a good oil cleaner. Make sure it is not sweetened though.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Hirilondë wrote:
Duncan wrote:I would sand down the discoloured areas, and rebuild the finish as described.
That's fine on solid teak, but be very careful on the plywood. The veneer is not very thick.

Lemon juice is a good oil cleaner. Make sure it is not sweetened though.
Thanks, good point, although I imagine the pieces mentioned would be solid.
Even so, some lemon juice first would probably be a great idea.
Cape Dory 10 & 27