electrical advise wanted

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
ourb32
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32 sloop

electrical advise wanted

Post by ourb32 »

Hello All
looking for advice on the best way to wire 4 - 6 V ,GC 2 ( 220 AH +/_ each ) for the house only. I plan on locating them (2) in the old unused ice box and (2) below where the oven used to be. This I think would kind of balance the weight side to side and keep them relitively low in the boat.both will have good ventilation
Hook 99%. / 1, 50 amp engine driven alternator. all lighting LED
I need advice on the size, of the solar panel needed to keep them up, and any controller required
also is wire lenght a consideration when charging from a source? size ? the bats on the SB side will be much longer then the ones on the PS
I want to wire them to use 450 +/_ AH's, how should I wire them ?
I can't figure out why this still confuses me ?
Thanks for the help
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: electrical advise wanted

Post by Shoalcove »

Try the Blue sea site to find some answers. There is a lot of info on the web and that is a good spot to start.
http://bluesea.com/resources
They also have a wire wizard to help you figure wire sizes. Check the home page.
Best of luck,
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: electrical advise wanted

Post by Ryan »

ourb32 wrote:Hello All
looking for advice on the best way to wire 4 - 6 V ,GC 2 ( 220 AH +/_ each ) for the house only. I plan on locating them (2) in the old unused ice box and (2) below where the oven used to be. This I think would kind of balance the weight side to side and keep them relitively low in the boat.both will have good ventilation
Hook 99%. / 1, 50 amp engine driven alternator. all lighting LED
I need advice on the size, of the solar panel needed to keep them up, and any controller required

The answer to this depends on how fast you want the bank to be recharged by solar alone. Any solar setup for realistically recharging a 450Ah bank will need a controller of some sort.

also is wire lenght a consideration when charging from a source?

Absolutely
size ?

Depends on what the length of the runs actually are. The voltage drop for the longer runs is the issue. Keep in mind that the wire to connect these banks wire be large (and expensive).

the bats on the SB side will be much longer then the ones on the PS
I want to wire them to use 450 +/_ AH's, how should I wire them ?

Two 6V batteries in series will give you one 12V bank with 220Ah. Two of these (the 12V bank) in parallel will give you one single 12V bank with 450Ah.

FWIW, I would seriously try and find a place where the batteries that make up the house bank can be put closer together. Anything to avoid long runs of large cable is a good goal.