Wisker pole

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Wisker pole

Post by captphil416 »

I have a nice 12' piece of bamboo. I intend to wrap it with xynole cloth, make some ends and use same for a wisker pole. Has anyone tried this? How did it work? Any ideas or comments? thanks Phil
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Wisker pole

Post by captphil416 »

Thank you Northstar; This is the encouragement I needed. I will do the design work here in Colo. this winter, and do the project when I get back to Solomons next spring. It is amazing what we can make from the stuff that just lays around to be picked up for free. Fair Winds Phil
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Wisker pole

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Why bother with wrapping the Bamboo? I doubt the bond you'd get to the slick exterior surface. The shape is not so perfect that the 'glass would be able to take much load (recall that columns are pretty sensitive to symmetry and eccentricity; Mr Euler figured all that out). And, it costs money and appearance. I think I'd cast about for end fittings and goop 'em in with filled epoxy (having used a mould release on the fitting).

I carry a 17' telescoping Forespar whisker pole that I trashpicked after it was Dumpstered because of its having corroded solid. I managed to get it apart, clean the corrosion products, and Forespar gave me new fittings for the telescoping action. I simply remember to never put it away wet, having rode it hard (as they say). I also carry a 6' Flying Dutchman spinnaker pole. I use whichever seems like enough to do the job.

On the cheap fittings department; my oldest FD spinnaker pole is Spruce with ordinary Bronze jib hanks used as end fittings (the previous owner was something of a scrounge, too; he soldered eyes onto the pull-release bit to add a release string.). You really will be happier with an outboard end fitting that you can undo without having to drag the clew aboard to reach it. I like the idea of a snotter for the inboard end fitting (in that last website); cheap and a way to adjust the effective length. Pole support is not so important when you adjust the genny sheet block. Otherwise, be sure to control the pole at its ends; sitting in the middle is a great way to offend Euler's Law and break the thing.