hose squeeze

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

hose squeeze

Post by margitchris »

I purchased Buck Algonquin shaft log hose to replace the rudder tube hose, but the Buck Algonquin comes no smaller than 1 1/2 inch inner diameter and my tube is 1 1/4. I installed the hose and squeezed it down firmly with two SS hose clamps, but have begun to doubt whether that is permissible. Once tank and engine are reinstalled, the rudder tube area becomes practically inaccessible and I want it right. Does anyone think this is an issue? Thanks.
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Re: hose squeeze

Post by Idon84 »

I can't be any help with your question but I can chime in that I am having a similar issue/problem with my new Perko 1.5" Seacocks. I bought Vetus Denouden 1.5" ID water hose for the set up, http://www.fisheriessupply.com/product/ ... ?cid=16052, but the end that fits over the 1.5" barbs on the seacock barely touch. Usually I am having to apply some detergent water to get the hose over the barbs but deffinatly not in the case. The only thing holding them on is the 2 clamps. The upper portion of the connection where it meets the cockpit drains fits much more to my liking.

I would definatly be interested in hearing what others have to say as well. It just scares me to think that if, for some strange reason, both hose clamps broke the hose itself wouldn't be snug on the barbs.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

Re: hose squeeze

Post by margitchris »

Lacking a response from anyone else, I'll respond myself. Generally, if something bothers you...something you can do something about... do it. If you sense a problem, chances are good that your sense won't go away, but will nag at you over time. Second, and this is to my own situation, it is bad design to render a vital system inaccessible. OK, the boat came to me that way, but the original designer did not specify a 20 gallon diesel tank blocking access and even view of the rudder tube.( That's one of the biggest reasons I'm replacing with a smaller tank. ) I slept on this for several nights and almost had myself talked into accepting a loose hose fit, but I was being convenient because I wanted to get on to another phase and I didn't want to drop the rudder again. True enough, stuffing box hose doesn't come smaller than 1 1/2 ID. Plenty of high quality exhaust hose, however, comes in the size I need ( 1 1/4).
So, here's what I'm doing:
Ordered 1 1/4 ID exhaust hose to use as new rudder tube hose. ( Already have 4 new hose clamps for that purpose.)
Ordered inspection plate. I'll cut a port into the forward end of the aft lazarette and install the inspection plate through which I can view the rudder tube. Obviously, it won't allow repair of the rudder tube should it need it, ( the rudder has to be dropped to replace the hose) but it will allow visual inspection for any signs the clamps are corroding or the hose is weeping.
So there. I told myself what to do.