Where to moor?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Where to moor?

Post by hriehl1 »

1968 Hinterhoeller HR28
It looks like I'll (finally) be launching this season. Now to decide where to keep it.

Closest to me, 25 minutes away, is Newburyport MA. But the exit of the Merrimac River into the Atlantic is notoriously difficult, and the harbor itself with swift river current is reportedly no picnic either. So first, is anyone first-hand familiar with Newburyport to confirm or dispel my concerns about its suitability for a 15 HP outboard driven Triton-like sailboat?

If Newburyport is no good, next comes Portsmouth / Kittery (35 minutes) to the north and Gloucester (70 minutes) to the south. Portsmouth / Kittery concerns me as there are not many interesting 1-day-out and next-day-back destinations and it could get boring. Gloucester has more interesting destinations but is just that much further away. If anyone has first-hand experience with either of these locales, I'd appreciate hearing your views.

Last, at 90 minutes away, would be Portland / Falmouth. Clearly this is sailing heaven, but it is far enough away that I doubt we'd ever, or often, do day trips so boat usage from here becomes an overnight (which is always tougher to schedule).

I know I'm rambling a bit, but you've all been through decisions like this and in some cases been happy with your choices and other times not-so-happy. Thanks for any insights or advice you'd like to provide.

Hank
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Re: Where to moor?

Post by radicalcy »

Were it me, I'd go with the moorage with the best destinations. The more interesting the venue, the more likely you'll make the effort to go sailing. If that means an extra hour of driving, then leave home an hour earlier, and get home an hour later.
I drive 90 minutes to the boat, and I'm about 2 miles from Chesapeake Bay at my dock. I could save about 25 minutes driving, with a nicer dock, and more restaurants, but then I'm 15 miles from the open bay and on a non wind day,or a day with head winds, could mean 5 or 6 hours of sailing or motoring to get to where I am now. I've tried it both ways, and the longer drive is for sure the way to go for me
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre