Rigging for Reefing

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Rigging for Reefing

Post by hriehl1 »

I'm planning a 2-line, single reef arrangement for my 175 sq.ft. mainsail on a 28-footer.

Does anyone know of a source of suggested loads / line sizes for various sailboat applications? Harken provides great rigging schematics but no recommended line sizing guidelines. My sense is the aft reefing line encounters very modest stress holding down the reef clew and something like a 3/16" Sta-Set or equivalent is adequate... maybe more than adequate.

Thanks... Hank
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Rigging for Reefing

Post by earlylight »

Hank,
I don't have any charts or guides for running rigging but on my Sabre 34 I used 5/16 for my reefing lines. I'm sure I could have used something smaller, but 5/16 was about as small as I wanted just for the comfort factor on my hands. The loads are not very much on the reefing lines.
Hope this helps.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Well, let's say you're in 25 knots of wind w/ a full main up. ( I know, not likely, but...) using the L= A * (knots^2) * 0.00431 that alone would be a force of 471 lbs. on the mainsheet. So w/a breaking strength of 1600 for 3/16 Sta Set X you'll be fine.

Trouble is that is too hard on your hands as has been pointed out. I'd go w/ 5/16 and not worry. And you'll still probably want to use gloves. And don't forget to tie down the clew to the boom w/ a sail tie or other line when you're finished reefing.
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

I agree that may be the estimated mainsail load transferred through the boom to the mainsheet... but the reef clew takes just a portion of that entire load. Some (probably more) load is taken my the main tack and when tied, a little is probably also distributed among the cringles.

All that said, I think the advice centers not on what line will hold (3/16 is probably fine) but what line is comfortable to use. I comfortably use 3/16 on my 90 sq ft Daysailer's main, but this boat's main is twice that area and will be twice the struggle.

Thanks all... I think I'll go to the 5/16.

Hank