Diesel oil recommendations

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Diesel oil recommendations

Post by dmairspotter »

Hi all

I'm winterizing my boat myself this year, which means I'll be changing the oil on my pretty new Beta diesel. Do any of you have brand recommendations for lube oil? Obviously, I will use oil that meets the engine manufacturers requirements, just wondering if there is a preferred brand?
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Diesel oil recommendations

Post by earlylight »

I have always used Shell Rotella or Castrol Diesel oils in both Universal (Kabota block) or Westerbeke (Mitsubishi block) diesels. No adverse issues with either oil.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

There are only personal preferences - the key to doing good for the engine is to pick one and stick with it - changing oils (MFG) from service to sevice is worse for the engine than sticking with a single, even a "nonpreferred", oil.

The thought here is that different makers use different additives to control whatever they want to control or promote - these additives, or "dopes" as they are sometimes referred to, often are not compatible and when mixed, even in whatever small quantities, can reduce their intended purpose or efficiency and/or "varnish up" on you in a worse scenario.

Just say'n
earlylight

Post by earlylight »

I didn't mean to switch from brand to brand when I mentioning two different brands,. I agree with Paulus for th reasons he states, pick a quality brand and stick with it. I had one boat in which I used nothing but Castrol and my current boat has had nothing but Shell Rotella in it.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I also use Shell Rotella which was recommended by the mechanic that helped me install the engine 3 years ago. I buy the box of 3, 1 gallon jugs at BJs. My engine is 5 qt but I can only get 1 gallon out so it works perfect. I keep a quart handy as a spare but have never had to use it. With the hand pump I get just shy of a gallon and the rest comes out of the filter. I add the gallon, run the engine and the level is perfect at the top of the hash marks on the dip stick.

As above, find a good quality oil and stick with it.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
earlylight

Post by earlylight »

Dennis,
I added an electric oil change pump to my Westerbeke 27 and now get all but about 6 ounces of oil out when I do an oil change, and with no mess Total cost for this upgrade was around $90.
I have documented this upgrade on my web site at: http://earlylight160.110mb.com/OilChangePump.html
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

For oil recommendations check in the engine manual. In 35 years of running diesels I have never used Shell Rotella oil. The ash content is too high, CAT recommends not to use Rotella and that's good enough for me.They do however say that if you do run Rotella change it more frequently. Detroit recommends Mobil Delvac and I run a Detroit so that's what I use. I understand brand loyality but I don't buy not changing brands because of additives in the oil. By the time the oil gets changed the additives are gone or polluted. What a diesel really needs is a good bypass oil filter system. I run one and change my oil every 50-75 thousand miles whether it needs it or not. Oil doesn't wear out. Check out gulfcoastfilters.com for more info if this interest you. Anyone care to guess what the bypass filter is made of???
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by John, CD28 »

I put a Beta 14 in my boat a few years ago, great little motor. I use Rotella, as the dealer/mechanic recommended.

You must use motor oil designed specifically for diesel engines. Do NOT use oil for gasoline engines, like Mobil 1. It's not the same, and won't stand up to the high compression of a diesel motor.

John
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.