Atomic 4 engine mounts

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
kempmd
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Atomic 4 engine mounts

Post by kempmd »

This spring working on Triton #101 (1961) I couldn't figure out why the prop shaft was all the way back to the rudder. Working in the engine room after I put it in I found that the right front engine mount bolt was loose. After further inspection, the left side bolt was gone, so the engine has slowly moved back. Now do I disconnect the coupling and pull the engine forward, then move the prop shaft forward to the coupling or move it as one unit while in the water? The shaft is not rubbing against the rudder but a 1/4in. off it. I can secure the engine with new bolts and redo all the work next fall after I pull it. The packing is good and cutless barring was in good shape. I am a novice to old boats but this a great one and I don't want to risk damaging it.
Kemp
Pylasteki, #101
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I don't see why you couldn't move and reposition it as a single unit. The clearance between prop and rudder isn't huge even under normal conditions, so you might have moved back an inch or so.

While doing this, it would be easy to badly misalign things, however, so try your best to keep things straight, and vow to fix the problem properly as soon as you can.

Also be careful not to pull things too far forward.

Good luck!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
kempmd
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by kempmd »

I just had this boat surveyed and engine mounts didn't come up. I am going to go with gently trying to move it and if she does'nt move, than tighten her down with new bolts and fix in the fall haul out. Thanks for the response Tim. This is a great resource for me and my old Triton. Here is a picture of her racing in front of Annapolis.
http://www.tritonclass.org/mir/101ta.htm[/url]
Kemp
Pylasteki, #101