Interesting cruising site

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Interesting cruising site

Post by heartofgold »

For those seeking some, er, entertainment, I would like to offer (not recomend, mind you) this website. The usual disclaimers apply, which you will certainly understand if you read the cruising logs.

Not directly on topic, but close enough that I thought it might generate some interest. I would be curious to hear anyone's feedback.

http://hcgiles.home.mindspring.com/
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The first cruising log I tried to read through was just too painful. I skimmed for highlights. The fact that the vehicle in question was a McGregor should be a tip off. They attract a certain type of sail.....er..... boater. Oops! have I become an opinionated snob? Someone slap me. The beauty of being a nobody is that one can say what strikes them without offending anyone 'cause no one is listening.

Exactly what sort of feedback were you looking for?? :-)

Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Splashy website which took some real effort. Honest- nobody can make that kind of stuff up. Seem like friendly, and likable people who I would hate to offend. Entertaining if you can ignore the idea that people like that are really out there creating a hazard to those around them.

B.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Britton,

Well put. You delicately phrased exactly what I would have liked to have said, as I also would not want to offend anyone. I was left agape at the with the tale of the Bahamas crossing and rolled with the (repeated) incidents with the "Valdez." I guess prehaps the best description of the their stories could be summed up with the phrase: "Shock and awe."

Certainly an "entertaining" read.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, obviously I don't condone the sort of "sailing" these folks do given their horrifying lack of knowledge, but at the same time they seem to be self-sufficient and not bothering anybody else too much. If crazies like this want to go out themselves, fine--just as long as their ignorance doesn't require the deployment and risking of any rescue personnel or fellow boaters.

Free spirits are all well and good--as long as they don't require "saving" by anyone else. If they sink or come to grief during their exploits, that's fine by me--so long as it's just them. When they drag anchor or whatever because of their total lack of seamanship, and put some other cruiser at risk, or require any outside services to help them save themselves or their boat, then I have a problem. Otherwise, more power to them. They're obviously in over their head, but it doesn't seem to phase them.

The stories are amusing if you can avoid thinking about how likely it is that someday these folks will come to grief, or require a rescue that puts others at risk. That's the only problem I have.

I'm almost in awe of how blase they are about it all. It's almost impressive, except that it's scary!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating