sink too deep??

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Geoff (wantatriton) Adams

sink too deep??

Post by Geoff (wantatriton) Adams »

Hello Tim, I've really enjoyed your site(s) and I like your forum too. I don't own a Triton (yet) but I saw your ad for a sink that you state was too deep. Why, what was/is underneath that is in the way? How deep is the sink you finally used?

Like I said I don't own a Triton yet but I plan to within the next couple of years and I'm sure that I'll be doing some remodeling too so any tips I can pick up along the way might help someday.

Thanks for your time in putting together all these sites and the info included in them!

Geoff
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Geoff,

The sink didn't hit anything beneath it--there's nothing in the way.

The problem was that the waterline of the boat, when compared to the height of the galley counter and the depth of the sink, was such that it fell about halfway up the sink depth--which meant that, since water seeks its own level at all times, the sink was half full of water all the time.

The Triton waterline, for future reference, is about 6" below the height of the original galley countertop.

Tim
Geoff Adams Sr.

re: sink reply and....

Post by Geoff Adams Sr. »

Thanks for the info about the waterline/sink relationship. I guess that made for some pretty sloppy sailing.

How deep is the sink that you wound up using?

Also not related to the sink question but , what happens if I forget to log off at the end of my time on this board? I have no idea if it's detrimental or not.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Geoff,

My new sink is 5" deep, and this keeps the bottom juuuuuust above the loaded waterline. Barely. For this year, I eliminated the direct overboard sink drain and grudgingly installed a sump chamber to pump the sink overboard, as I got tired of the sink slop. The problems I have experienced are the result of a combination of factors which may be unique to my boat: a lower galley sink countertop than standard (to provide more room beneath the overhanging bridgedeck); and a heavier-loaded boat than many, at least some of the time.

There's no need to sign out from this board if you don't want. It doesn't hurt anything; generally, I personally find it convenient to stay sighed in. Signing in places a "cookie" on your computer that remembers who you are and allows you to always browse the forum under your registered name. Whenever you close your browser from this site, you disappear from the board--but if you stay logged in, it just means that you'll be greeted by name when you return another time, and won't have to log in each time.

I never use any personal information or information from "cookies" in any way, shape or form. They're not even something I see. Use this forum and its registration process with confidence.

Tim