Fairing on top of applied bottom paint (Baltoplate)

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Fairing on top of applied bottom paint (Baltoplate)

Post by Jason K »

I have the boat in the yard for a new bottom. The bottom work involved some blister repair. Yesterday, they applied two coats of Baltoplate. When I stopped by the boat today, there were quite a few pinholes over the repaired blisters. They plan to simply refair on top of the applied Baltoplate and spray three more coats.

Is that the proper way to do it? I can't think of why it wouldn't be, but I want to be sure it's done right.

Thanks.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That seems wrong to me, because then when the paint comes off so will your pinhole repairs. It just has a "the lazy way" feel to it.

Rachel
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

That was my first thought as well (Rachel's thought, that is) but then again, Balto isn't supposed to come off, is it?

I really have nothing of value to add, Jason. I just feel like typing right now! ;-D

(edited to change "advertisement" to "addition")
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Baltoplate is pretty hard and it will not come off like an ablative. It needs to be sanded off or chemically stripped. I suppose it will adhere well enough to the bottom and the new epoxy will adhere well enough to it.

The boat had some blisters when we hauled it out. However, when we removed the old bottom we found a number of old repairs that weren't done all that well. The fairing compund from the older repairs had checks and pinholes. The yard added $2200 to the total bill to, ostensibly, fix it properly.

So, I was disconcerted to see all of the pinholes today.

Any other thoughts?
J/30 Rambunctious
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Whether or not fairing over the top of the paint will be effective for a reasonable amount of time, it's just not the right way to do it. You know it, and the yard knows it. It sounds like they're looking to give you a "tail light warranty"--that is, make you go away relatively happy for just long enough so that when something does fail, they can claim it was the result of some other factor, and (of course) not their fault.

In addition, Balto is a slippery substance (containing, among other things, molybdenum) and I can't see it serving as a particularly good substrate for epoxy. Not that any paint really is, but this may be even worse.

For the money you're paying, you deserve--and should expect--quality workmanship--all the more so because supposedly you paid specifically for the elimination of pinholes.

I can't even believe what yards charge for stuff...and then give you lousy work in return, to boot, in some cases. It's sad.

Good luck.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

I can't even believe what yards charge for stuff...and then give you lousy work in return, to boot, in some cases. It's sad.
Not in my case! I don't care if they have to take everything off and redo it three times, it's going to be done correctly. This is a well regarded yard and the job needs to be commensurate with the price and their reputation.

Yesterday, I was told they just shot one coat to see the imperfections more clearly. That's a little different from Thursday, when I was told two coats went on that day and three more were to go on on Friday. I'm glad I was able to get there early Friday morning and ask some questions.

When I stopped by yesterday, they were removing the Baltoplate over areas that were showing pinholes. I asked to see the bottom before any more paint goes on. I hope we've also established expectations.

Here's a few shots from yesterday:

J/30 Rambunctious
Tim

Post by Tim »

What's with the paint all over the shaft, prop, and even the zinc?
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

What's with the paint all over the shaft, prop, and even the zinc?
Well, the zinc at least is taped. Painting the shaft and prop struck me as odd, but I figured they knew something I didn't. I'm embarrassed I didn't ask them about it.

Is there any potential harm that can come of it?
J/30 Rambunctious
Tim

Post by Tim »

Other than buildup, I suppose not. But I think painting a shaft and prop is bad because there are cases where it has led to balance problems (in extreme cases).

In general, I just don't think it's good. Your slick Balto stuff probably won't cause a problem, and maybe it's de rigeur down in your parts. Not here, though.