Priming before interdek

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Priming before interdek

Post by Capn_Tom »

I am completing the prep work in preperation for painting my cabintop. I am using Perfection cream on the smooth areas and interdek beige on the molded non skid. I realize that interdek does not require a primer but I am considering priming the whole surface with epoxy primekote to fill any gelcoat cracks. The upside is that I have to prime the smooth areas anyway so it will be easier to do the whole area. The downside is that I can't think of an effective way to sand the molded non skid. Thoughts theories and recommendations would be appreciated.
The board does not cut itself short!
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

This is purely a personal preference, but I don't care for mixed aggregate non-skid paints, like Interdeck, over a molded non-skid pattern. It looks like a job done quickly and cheaply, even though it can still be a lot of work. If you really want the Interdeck, then I would suggest sanding the molded non-skid off entirely with a DA sander and 60 or 80 grit discs. If you want to keep the molded non-skid, then use a paint without the aggregate mixed in. This is, of course, my opinion only.

I'm unsure of the best way to prepare a molded non-skid section for paint without compromising the non-skid texture, though.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The downside is that I can't think of an effective way to sand the molded non skid
In my case I found the molded non-skid to be quite soft. 80 grit on a DA sander make short work of it. 40 grit, followed by a brush with 80 grit made really quick work of it.

A couple of years ago I wanted a quick and dirty solution so I just painted over the molded pattern. Bad idea, It became VERY slippery after that. The molded pattern did not come close to providing enough grip through the paint.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

I primed the whole deck. My theory was it was just as quick to paint the whole deck, as it was to mask and paint. I have no regrets about it, and the Interdeck adhered well to the PrimeKote.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380