Intermittent Water Flow - Yanmar 2QM15

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Intermittent Water Flow - Yanmar 2QM15

Post by Jason K »

My Yanmar has been temperamental recently.

Sometimes it will start right up and run fine. Occasionally though, it will not pump water, often at inconvenient times. If it doesn't pump water, sometimes bumping the revs will get it flowing again.

This can occur right at start-up or after running for a little bit. It seems like it often happens after restarting the motor when we head back in.

I have changed the impeller, water pump belt, hoses, and the thermostat. The thermostat was pretty cruddy and I though it might have been sticking and causing the problem. However, the boat did the same thing this weekend with the new thermostat. I will be performing an acid flush next weekend.

A water pump would just fail, right? They seem pretty simple and it's hard to see how it would work intermittently.

Any ideas?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Have you checked your engine zincs? There's on on the front of the engine (hose from pump comes in, bypass hose to thermostat goes out), and there's one on the back of the engine, near to the temperature alarm sender.

If the zincs are falling apart, maybe they are partially blocking flow through either the bypass or some part of the engine?
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

You are sure the intake hose is clear? The PO had the same problem with the old Volvo on my Swede. It turned out the good looking raw water intake hose was collapsing on it's self in the middle. The thin rubber liner had separated from the heavier hose.
I want a shop!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Three powerboats on my dock had that collapsing/delaminated hose problem this year. All three drove themselves NUTS trying to figure it out because the problem was so inconsistent.

That hose isn't cheap, but it's a good place to start.
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Have you checked your engine zincs? There's on on the front of the engine (hose from pump comes in, bypass hose to thermostat goes out), and there's one on the back of the engine, near to the temperature alarm sender.
I replaced the one on the front of the engine, but I simply can't get the one in the back off. I've been shooting it with PB Blaster regularly and it won't budge. I haven't introduced heat yet, but I may have to. I'm having the same problem with the transmission dipstick. The front zinc had surface corrosion, but was about 95% intact.
You are sure the intake hose is clear? The PO had the same problem with the old Volvo on my Swede. It turned out the good looking raw water intake hose was collapsing on it's self in the middle. The thin rubber liner had separated from the heavier hose.
All three drove themselves NUTS trying to figure it out because the problem was so inconsistent.
The hose looks good, but it has not been replaced. I have only replaced the hoses on the motor itself. What's the best hose to use? Does anybody know a good source for the hose? McMaster?

Thanks!
J/30 Rambunctious
catamount

Post by catamount »

#218 wrote:[
The hose looks good, but it has not been replaced. I have only replaced the hoses on the motor itself. What's the best hose to use? Does anybody know a good source for the hose? McMaster?
I like the hardwall exhaust hose I got from Jamestown Distributors.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Get on to the Yanmar site; theye're almost as good as this one:
http://www.freeboards.net/index.php?mfo ... _post&st=0

Perhaps a loose impellor blade is intermittently falling across an important passage; otherwise hard to imagine an intermittent waterflow cause. Well, maybe, a nasty floater in the intake side; a bit of weed or plastic bag. Hoses would collapse at high rpm/high load, not low.
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Thanks. The impeller is brand new and I've since inspected it trying to locate the source of this problem. I don't think the impeller is it. Also, I'm sure there is nothing blocking the intake side.

The intermittent flow happens both at startup and after running for a little bit. I think I'll replace the hose to be on the safe side and keep brainstorming in the meantime.

I would love to hear any other thoughts.

Also, thanks for the link to the Yanmar forum. There is a lot of good information there.
J/30 Rambunctious
catamount

Post by catamount »

Jason, I have a question -- how do you know that the engine is only pumping water intermittently?

On mine, water comes out the exhaust sporadically, but it keeps coming.
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Jason, I've also found the Yahoo Yanmar list pretty informative.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yanmardiesel/
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

catamount wrote:Jason, I have a question -- how do you know that the engine is only pumping water intermittently?

On mine, water comes out the exhaust sporadically, but it keeps coming.
Hi Tim,

When this occurs, it triggers the alarm buzzer. Also, there is simply no flow from the exhaust, even at higher RPM's. I am familiar with the discharge at idle, which sort of sputters, but this is almost no water exiting the exhaust.
J/30 Rambunctious
David

Sporatic exhaust

Post by David »

Jason,

Did you resolve this issue?

David
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

David, thanks for asking. I meant to type a resolution awhile back but thought it would be bad luck given the intermittent nature of the problem. Then, I completely forgot about updating the thread.

Yes, the issue appears to be resolved. I replaced the intake hoses, both from the thru-hull to the strainer and from the strainer to the water pump (those hoses are freakin expensive!).

When I was doing that, I took a closer look at the strainer and noticed the older cork gasket looked suspect. I replaced that with a rubber one.

It seems to have fixed the problem. The motor has pumped water just fine since making those changes. I suspect the bad gasket was the problem, rather than the hoses. When I blew hard into the intake hose, I could force water to leak from the top of the strainer. So, an impeller, a thermostat, a lot of cleaning, all new cooling hoses, and several sessions of practicing sailing into the slip later, I'm inclined to blame a $3.00 gasket.

I love boats.
J/30 Rambunctious
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

So, an impeller, a thermostat, a lot of cleaning, all new cooling hoses, and several sessions of practicing sailing into the slip later, I'm inclined to blame a $3.00 gasket.
Yes, but you feel so much more secure knowing you have those new hoses, thermostat and impeller not to mention your advanced sailing skills, now don't you?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

heartofgold wrote:
So, an impeller, a thermostat, a lot of cleaning, all new cooling hoses, and several sessions of practicing sailing into the slip later, I'm inclined to blame a $3.00 gasket.
Yes, but you feel so much more secure knowing you have those new hoses, thermostat and impeller not to mention your advanced sailing skills, now don't you?
Well, there's no argument that these things all needed to be done. The PO had no maintenance records, so everything was suspect.
J/30 Rambunctious
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Hey!

14 months with nary a peep and then you go posting as if not a day has passed?!

What black hole spit you back out Doug?

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Britton,

Nice to be missed! Especially when the welcome is phrased so warmly and eloquently.

Actually, I have been lurking in the shadows for some time, but my new job kept me away from the forum and the boat. Things suddenly settled so I felt it was time to climb out of the hold--I mean hole.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen