Epoxy Preference

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Epoxy Preference

Post by The Froon »

I am about ready to begin fairing work on the hull of my Sea Sprite 23, can any one tell me if there is a preference for one of the following two:
- West System
- System 3

Also, where is the most economical place to purchase? (web sites, or local marine retailer).

Thanks,

Brian
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

I switched from West to MAS and have been very happy. Jamestown has good prices on MAS.
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Agreed. I like MAS the best. Used West to rebuilt my thistle. Worked very well but the smell got to me. MAS doesn't have quite as bad of a smell. Never used System 3.

I get my MAS epoxy from Infinity Composites http://stores.infinityfrp.com/StoreFront.bok
$59 per Gallon of Resin
$85 per Gallon for Hardner, YEP thats right!
Of course you have to pay shipping but I find that I always make out over going to Boaters World and paying $120 for a Gallon of Hardner.

Get my cloth from US Composites.

http://www.uscomposites.com/index.html

I too would like to hear others thoughts on different brands of epoxy. Anyone have issue with MAS?
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

I have been using Raka epoxy. Like the product, like the price and like their fillers. 3 gal kit $156. (2 gal resin and 1 gal hardener) . Also have to pay shipping.

Barry
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I've used RAKA, MAS, Sys 3 and WEST. The very lowest price of any epoxy I've found is from B and B Yacht Design in North Carolina. It's a 2-1 ratio, I've been using it for several years now, have built five boats with it, and am completely satisfied.

Last I bought was 1.5 gallons ( 1 gal resin, 1/2 gal hardener) about a month ago for $89 which included shipping. It's probably gone up a bit since then- every one else has recently

It isn't listed on the web site, but the phone number is- call Carla and ask for prices-

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by vindo40 »

Is there something wrong with "Fiber Glass Coating Inc." that nobody talk about it ?
or is a Company only from this latitude only ?

http://www.fgci.com/
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Seems there is a clear lack of consensus. And as usual, no lack of opinions. That is what I like about this place.

My OPINION, is that I like System 3. After using West for years, I found the 5:1 with all the pumps and the burping of the pumps etc... that the 2:1 was much easier. I could do it by eye.

With all the opinions, including mine, it tells you that almost anything you buy will be good. Go for price and convenience. Here in SE CT, we have LBI right down the street where I get my vinylester resin. The price is close to the best but the ability to stop on my way home to pick up cloth and resin is priceless. They also have epoxy but I have not tried it "yet" maybe it is time.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Rreferring to the question on FGCI-

Well, other than the fact that they sell some brand of epoxy, the website seems pretty much slanted towards polyester resin use, not epoxy use.

Which may be ok, but they just don't seem to be a good place for any help with the epoxy. MAS, RAKA, B and B, etc, can answer questions immediately, on the phone, if you have them.
The Froon
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

As always...a lot of great information here. Thanks!

West System does such a great job selling their product through the literature and video instruction they put out. They are not shy about telling consumers how much exhaustive research goes into their product introduction, and their price says they are proud. I will need to do some research on the others to be able to compare and contrast products.

Thanks,

Brian
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

All that is most definitely true Brian. And they have a tech support second to none. They've helped me with several NON- boat projects back when we ran the wood shop and hadn't gotten back into boat building.

One of those projects was a repair to a damaged full life sized Jesus figure on a 9 foot tall x 7 foot wide cross.. We rebuilt the face after some moisture damage and the Gougeon's tech department worked with me on a schedule of repairs, mainly verifying my plans.

But the price disparity has gotten so large as to make WEST not such a viable material, when other brands are basically the same thing and significantly cheaper. I started using WEST Epoxy back in 1976 and used nothing else until the very early 2000's. But I seldom use it now- It's just plain too costly and I have a hard time justifying a several hundred dollar difference to a customer, for pretty much the SAME thing.
David

Post by David »

Any of the brand name epoxies will work fine and I think the private label epoxies are fine too (such as Fiberglas Coatings in St Pete). I have always used West epoxy. I buy it from Defender and it's reasonably priced thru them.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Defender catalog price- $97.50 for one gallon of resin and one quart of fast hardener, plus shipping brings it to over $110 and probably closer to $120.

As opposed to 1 1/2 gallon for $89 INCLUDING shipping.

I don't see that as all that reasonable. And when I was buying 15 or 20 gallons for a boat for a customer, it began to get unreasonable fast.

I do still keep WEST on hand. I like it for quicker small jobs in cooler weather. But for bulk, I've found better places and brands.

Having said this, I do think WEST is a quality product and works extremely well. I'd certainly never talk down someone who continued to use it. I just can't afford it anymore- I'm a semi retired boat builder after all-grin.
David

Post by David »

I guess we have different ideas of what is reasonable. You don't mind if I use West epoxy do you Charlie?
David

Post by David »

BTW

From Defender's website a few moments ago:

Epoxy Resin
Item #: 750361
1 Gallon
Clear, light amber, low-viscosity liquid
Manufacturer: WEST SYSTEM
Model #: 105-B
This product ships ground
Epoxy Resin
Features:
A clear, light amber, low-viscosity liquid epoxy resin.
It is used as the base for the entire... more... Reg. Price: $74.99
Sale Price: $68.99

David
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

LOL- Not in the slightest David. I'll use it myself from time to time-grin

Frankly, I'm trying hard to get out of the "using epoxy " business.

I have a 25 footer at the shop getting a new interior, a 34 foot tri to re frame, restringer and replank one ama side ( damage from Rita) and a 28 foot catamaran to build a new dog house onto, and I'm gonna retire totally and go cruising , at least for some short ( 4-6 month) trips.

Oh, and this Pearson Vangard I'm working on getting launched for a guy.

Hopefully this will all happen by about next June or July.

And that's what we all are hoping for anyway isn't it?

I'm just a few years ahead of some of you

GRIN