Nautical nomenclature for stuff

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Nautical nomenclature for stuff

Post by One Way David »

I an working on the wood shelving behind the seats, the seat support slatts and some sole support "beams" on my Pearson Ensign. Most boasts have the same architecture. What is the correct nomenclature for these items.
1. The area behind the seat to store stuff. Shelf?
2. The seat support slatts that run abeamship under the seat slats?
3. The support "beams" that run athwartship, that are tabbed into each starboard and port hull on which the sole lies?

Thanks for the knowlegable contestant that submits the answers. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Nautical nomenclature for stuff

Post by Hirilondë »

With fiberglass boats the nomenclature isn't rooted in tradition like for wooden boats. Some components take their name from the near equivalent on a wooden boat. Some components don't necessarily have a proper name. Some may have a name that has started to become accepted as "proper", as composite boats have evolved.

1. Shelf is as good a term as any. I know of no "proper" term. Although, wooden boats have a structural piece that joins the deck beams to the frames that is properly called the shelf.

2. If you mean across the hull, the term would be athwartship. as you used it in #3. Seats in an open boat are often called thwarts as they are also structural. Canoes have thwarts, they do not have seats, although with today's composites, they often are not structural any more and they are sat upon. I don't think there really is a "proper" term in this case as they simply support the seat and add no structure to the hull.

3. Here we have one that probably should take its name from the wooden boat equivalent. Sole beam would be appropriate. If the piece were to fit to the hull down into the bilge, and not just be a cross member, it would resemble the wooden boat's "floor" Sometimes floors support the sole, and sometimes beams do. It depends on how much room the boat has and whether the boat can afford space under the sole. Larger wooden boat raise the sole off the floors onto sole beams.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Thanks Dave. I just like to learn stuff. I don't know why I used abeamship in #2, I knew better.

Dave.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Or as I say: "When they close the lid, you are done."
Out there, alone, there is only truth.