fuel tank gasket sealant

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

fuel tank gasket sealant

Post by sscoll »

Can someone recommend a gasket sealant for gasoline. I used some stuff from NAPA a few years back and it hasn't held up. I get a small amount of moisture and a whole lot of raw gas smell seeping past the gasket on the top of my fuel tank. Thanks. Steve
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Re: fuel tank gasket sealant

Post by Paulus »

Sounds like sealant alone is not doing the job... perhaps cut a gasket from a suitable material NITRILE- BUNA-N SHEET claims to be gasoline resistant... nothing beats a well fitting gasket.

http://www.allstategasket.com/info_gask ... e-1190.asp
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Thanks. I'll do that.
Steve
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Be sure your faying surfaces are flat and clean. You can buy over-thickness gasket material at an auto parts store. You can also buy a small tube of permatex and use a smear of it on one surface only.
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

"Faying" ... terrific, a new word for me! I thrive on new words, and this one fills a descriptive need I've tried to fill, with mixed results, in the past. Can't wait to use it in casual conversation.

Why permatex on only one surface? I used black permatex on the previous gasket but I'm thinking the gasket itself wasn't either thick enough or of the right material.
Thanks.
Steve
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Oh yeah???? Try using 'callipygous' on someone you admire, or on another admirer with whom you've been discussing someone you admire.

Permatex on one surface holds the gasket for assembly and seals if the surface isn't perfect. The plain, clean gasket will, hopefully, separate at the other, more perfect surface when you have to disassemble the thing again. Just a smear of permatex, it's almost as bad as 5200 for getting on everything; lacquer thinner cleans it up.
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

I will indeed, and will ready myself to flee precipitously or well....... who knows? Guess I'll choose the time for dropping that one for that moment when its likely to be mostly beneficial.
That's enough... two new words in one 24 hour period set my ears steaming and I remember both in the morrow. Three and I forget them all.