To buy or not to buy? That is my question.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
mowenbrown
Bottom Sanding Grunt

To buy or not to buy? That is my question.

Post by mowenbrown »

Hello to all. This is my first post, and I am looking for a reality check. I grew up sailing: my family had boats ranging from 28 to 50 feet and I raced 420s and Lasers. However, my father always did the bulk of the work.

I am trying to get a handle on the learning curve and budget for getting a boat. I?m 32, make a decent living, am reasonably handy around the house, and want to get back into sailing. As much as I want to jump in with both feet, I also want to be able to wrap my head around some realistic numbers and make sure I have considered all the issues. I would love input from boat owners.

Thanks to all in advance for any help,
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

What are you thinking about, boatwise? Do you want to be talked into, or talked out of, a project boat, or a boat in good sailing condition needing some upgrades and minor projects, or something else?

Once the sailing bug hits, whether for the first time or rekindling a sailing past, it is relatively futile to resist. Boats are great fun, but also can consume your time and resources if you're not careful.

Your potential boating budget depends on many individual factors, including number and importance of other financial commitments, disposable income available for this sort of thing, and willingness to spend said disposable income on a boat and her maintenance and upgrades.

To me, the number one factor that enhances or detracts from overall boating enjoyment--both for projects and pure sailing--is the amount of free time you truly have to dedicate to the affliction. So many boats languish on the mooring (or dock) because their owners just can't seem able to make the time to use them. Likewise, project after project has been doomed to failure because their owners just don't have the time they thought they had. Families, jobs, and other commitments can detract from a person's true free time, and all these things must be considered carefully at the onset. The less time you have, the more potential frustration there is surrounding the boat, whether she's in the water or out. Guilt over lack of sailing or progress on your project can be almost overwhelming if you find yourself short on time. However much truly free time you think you have, you should probably cut this estimation in half to provide a more accurate picture of what will really be available. It's better to have more time than you predicted, rather than less.

What sort of sailing do you want to do, and with how many people? Daysailing, cruising, or both? This can have a significant impact on your potential boat choices. There are a lot of great small boats that can satisfy the sailing urge without overwhelming any budget or time availability, but they wouldn't be good choices for overnights or cruising. Likewise, a larger boat can end up being such a drain on your resources (time and money) that you end up not enjoying her as much as you should, unless you truly need the size for longer cruises with a crowd, or some such.

Project boats can be fun, but only (only!!!) if you want the project portion to be a large part of your boating enjoyment. Don't buy a project thinking that it'll be a cheap way to get into boating. Few things are more expensive than an unwanted project, in terms of frustration, resentment, and utter lack of sailing. If you want to go sailing, don't buy a boat needing major repairs before she's ready for the water. The frustration of being stuck in the middle of some miserable project during sailing season can drive anyone over the edge. Don't get stuck here.

Only a select few crazies really pine after the worst project boats, and just because the process is fun to us...and these projects also offer a unique opportunity to fully customize a boat to our needs. But for most people, such large projects are not the way to go. Serious projects should almost never be undertaken without another means at hand for sailing fixes.

There are myriad older boats that don't qualify as true "project" boats, but still may require upgrades and smaller repairs. These boats tend to be sailable as is, and make a good choice for people who want a little hands-on opportunity, but would rather be sailing. Projects can be taken one at a time, and as you see fit. This approach works for many people. The initial price of admission for one of these boats is usually reasonable, and you can spend as you see fit to improve the boat over time.

All boats require maintenance and periodic upgrades. No boat can be neglected for very long without suffering consequences. So any boat represents a commitment to ongoing maintenance and repair--new, old, and otherwise. Failure to hold up your end of the bargain will cause the boat to literally fall apart, not to mention lose any potential resale value. Be sure to buy a boat that won't require more maintenance than you are willing and able to provide, whether on your own or by hiring out the work.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

I'll go out on a limb with some suggestions, what the heck.

I'm assuming you want (eventually) to cruise or race in keelboats. You already have sailed small centerboarders, and they are cheap enough to be a no-brainer.

I would suggest finding a small keelboat in the 20-25 foot range in decent enough shape to sailaway, if not too far. A trailer would be a big plus. A quick check of yachtworld.com shows a bunch of Tanzer 22's in the 3-5k range, for instance. I owned one of these early on. They are tough, simple little boats that are great to learn on and capable of pretty decent coastal cruising. (I like odd looking boats). There are lots of other models in this size/price range.

Boats of this size are easy to sail/handle, easy on the pocketbook (relatively), easy to work on single handed, and a trailer would let you do your own hauling and storage. After a year or two you will find out what you're interested in work/sailing/size wise.

The important thing is to get one that is good enough to sail with little or no work. You're going to end up working on it anyway. If you find you're really after the projects, there are plenty around to choose from.

When it's time to move up/on/out, your losses are limited.

I have two rules about buying boats:

1) Don't borrow money to buy a boat
2) Have 50% over the purchase price available for all the stuff you'll want/need after you get the boat. I've never used up the 50%, but it lets me proceed as I want to without worry
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I'll happily pass on my experience with boat ownership, and add that I won't consider life without owning a boat until I'm incapable of enjoying it - hopefully very near the end of my life!

My first boat was an Abbott 22 - a great little boat. It is quick, sails like a dinghy with a keel, has a remarkable amount of space both on deck and down below for a 22 footer, and required very little maintenance to enjoy. Small boats put much less strain on everything, so things wear out slowly. The Abbott (and many like it) had very little on deck woodwork to require maintenance (my toe and hand-rails were sun-bleached teak, and were seldom looked at), and very simple systems which could be largely ignored. Prep and paint the bottom, splash, rig, and go sailing! There is much to be said for the eyesore of an outboard, also, in terms of ease of maintenance. The Mercury 7.5 hanging off the back of Pegasus just kept running as long as there was gas in the tank.

The next boat was a Roue R/20 (http://www.ramoak.com/swallow.html), a much more beautiful boat, and a real joy to sail. Despite being almost 30' overall, her accomodations were almost non-existent, and we enjoyed her for only two seasons, realizing that cruising was our main pleasure in sailing. She was older, in worse shape when we purchased her, and we did spend quite a bit of time on upkeep and improvements - painting topsides and deck, and rebedding everything. As a daysailor, she was amazing!

Our third, and current boat is a LeComte Northeast 38 (http://www.lecomteowners.com), Weatherbird. She's also gorgeous, also a joy to sail, and is yet a further step up the hill in terms of maintenance. She has propane for cooking, two sinks and associated plumbing, a head and plumbing, an inboard diesel with all that entails, a complex electrical system, and much beefier everything, which require more diligence (on a small boat if something breaks it's much less dramatic!). We love her, but the increased effort to keep her in good form is not insubstantial.

In terms of expense, I think the increase is pretty much exponential as you increase in size. Length increases tend to imply width increases, and while I got away with a quart of bottom paint for the 22, and a quart and a half for the 30, the 38 takes a gallon! Lots of beautiful brightwork on Weatherbird give great pleasure, and require significant annual attention. The inboard is no eyesore, and works nicley, but requires more attention to keep it going. Water and sewage systems require winterizing and commissioning. And buying anything for the rig is multiples more expensive - heavier duty, and larger (one lower shroud, with swageless terminals, last year cost me over $200). Winter storage went from $400 to $1100 going from 29'6"x8' to 38'3"x10'11".

If you're worried that a boat might eat up too much of your time or budget, buying an inexpensive smaller boat to see how you like it is a very good idea. If you find it easy to manage both time-wise and financially, but too small to enjoy in the way you'd like to, sell it again and move up! It's much easier to sell an inexpensive boat also - there are many more people prepared to plunk down under $10K for a boat than there are those with more to spend - selling the Abbott took about a week, selling the Roue about a month, and I've seen Northeast 38s on the market for a year before (also much less, but I wouldn't plan for less than a couple of months).

That's been my experience, in a nutshell. I'm perfectly delighted with my more expensive, more labour intensive current boat - but I went into it with my eyes open, and had the experience of easier boats to start with. And I manage to get out and enjoy it a lot!

Cheers,

Chris
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

I to was able to get my first boat for very little money. The santana 22 was just 1500 dollars, I took the extra step of learning to sail displacement boats without an engine, but an outboard would have added a bit to the price. Even at only 22 feet the santana weighed about a ton and that is very different than a laser! I think the biggest transition from dinghys to anything with a lead keel is the issue of maintaining way and therefore steerage. I see many dinghy sailors stabbing their tiller around like some fencing master desperately trying not to drift down onto something, without realising the time it takes to build up speed. Once the boat is going, the dinghy skills of helmsmanship and sail trim are very useful. In our waters there are plenty of slips for small boats and the cost is lower per foot. I loved the santana, and made so many mistakes on her that were easily forgiven on such a cheap boat. In the end I traded her to a young man for a computer.
The 22 -25 foot range can vary quite a bit in price, I agreee with the previous posts, buy something that you can sail the day you buy it. My second boat was my real project boat.

good luck and do it.

R
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

14 foot Laser, we unstep the mast ourselves, and transport the boat on top of the van, store in our yard -- no real cost.

21 footer with swing keel, we un-step the mast ourselves, haul on a trailer behind our van, and store in our yard -- not much cost . .. (other than maintaining the trailer, registration for the boat and trailer, etc, etc....)

34 footer, mast is unstepped by rigger with crane and stored in boat yard shed, boat is hauled by trucker with hydraulic trailer, stored in my yard on jackstands (another expense) -- $1200 one way...

You get the idea.

Many costs are a function of boat size, not just length, but displacement -- consider that the 21 footer weighs about 10x what a 14 foot Laser weighs; the 34 footer is an order of magnitude heavier than the 21 footer, etc....

Other factors that influence your costs include where you keep the boat, how you use the boat (e.g. offshore voyaging vs. dock queen) and the standard to which you choose to maintain the boat.

It'll cost what you're willing to give to it.

Regards,
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

BUY and BUY A TRITON!

Post by jollyboat »

You should buy MOJITO Triton #218 That is good boat. It needs a bit of work but can be sailed as is. It got a little scraped up in the big hurricane but that is nothing that can' t be delt with in short order. Even with the scrapes the boat can be sailed. To have Mojito trucked up to DC would cost you but it would be worth it I think. I agree with Tim in his recomending not to buy a project boat if your goal is to go sailing. A project boat can be fun but it is a project and not sailing. Another great thing about the Triton is that so many have been renewed and the work has been documented and put on line. This is a great advantage. Knowledge is great to have at your fingertips
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Well, if you're looking for reasons not to buy a boat you probably came to the wrong place :)

Lots of good food for thought already posted so I will address just a few points:

Project boats can be fun, but only (only!!!) if you want the project portion to be a large part of your boating enjoyment. Don't buy a project thinking that it'll be a cheap way to get into boating.
Take Tim's comment to heart. If you don't already know for absolute sure that you love projects and have a ton of time to spend on them then don't even consider a project boat. Even if you value your labor really cheap, the materials alone add up fast. I don't mean to say that doing it yourself doesn't save money, but big projects can get expensive. I did a huge project last winter and loved it. But I knew for sure I would and had the resources (I work in a boatyard).

There are several good comments on starting small (20-25 feet). This is probably wise. But before you make any decisions have you really figured out what you are looking for in sailing? Sailing means many different things to people. Some like it all. Some like just racing and going fast. Some want to fair weather daysail. Others want to cruise for a week or more at a stretch and damn the weather. Are you married? If so what does your wife think about sailing (this one can matter a lot)?

The fact that you posted leads me to believe you really want to get back into sailing. If this is so, the question really becomes: What kind of splash will you first make? And my best to you in figuring this out.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Lots of great comments here, I think we need to know a bot more about your appetite ofr sailing - racing, cruising, pottering, day sails etc. Your budget if you are willing to share (purchase price, repair budgets, ongoing running costs etc) and as mentioned your time / appetitie and ability to undertake boat projects.

the latter is important - we just bought a relatively new boat and yet I am down at the marine 3 weekends out of every 4 this first off-season tinkering with stuff, maintaining this, updating that etc etc - my list is 4 pages long. that said, we could sail the boat "as-is" - you kinda create your own tollerance level as to the must-do's and the other ...
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

dmairspotter wrote: A trailer would be a big plus. A quick check of yachtworld.com shows a bunch of Tanzer 22's in the 3-5k range, for instance. I owned one of these early on. They are tough, simple little boats that are great to learn on and capable of pretty decent coastal cruising.
I'd second the Tanzer 22 - they are tremendously popular up here, and are a very flexible boat. One of those boats that are very enjoyable in many ways, and no huge commitment, either.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Is there a local Yacht Club near where you live? Frequently racers look for crew for the local "around the cans" races. This is a good way to get your feet wet in a keel boat. If your not really into the racing scene, see if you can crew on one of the boats in the cruising divison. By doing this, you will get to see a lot of different boats and how they perform.

I agree with the 20-25' boat range. When I was 22 I bought a 24' San Juan. I still own it (12 years later), and I love it. There are a lot of good boats in this range. The 22 Tanzer was mentioned, I'll recommend a 24 San Juan, and a 22 Catalina is a good starter boat as well.

Make sure you buy a boat that sails well. I'm not saying buy the fastest boat you can, just get one that is a joy to sail. If you don't, you end up with a slow power boat. It helps to also buy a boat that is suited to the local conditions. If you will be sailing in predominately light airs, get a boat that sails well in light airs. If you live somewhere that sees a lot of heavy wind, get a boat more suited to that.

Your first boat never ends up being your last boat. As you start to sail more often, you realize what parts of sailing are most enjoyable to you. Your next boat will be more suited to this purpose. With that in mind, I would also recommend something that will sell reasonably easy in the future. You don't want a boat that is hard to sell when you get a case of "two foot-itis".
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Mowenbrown - (M. Owen Brown?)
You definitely came to a good place to ask your question. And there you are right near the Chesapaeke - lucky guy! Let us know which way you are leaning - there was a lot of good advice there. As Robert the Gray said, "Good luck and do it."
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

My advice is to get the smallest boat that does what you want it to do even if you can afford a larger one. I also think owning your boat outright is the way to go if at all possible. Do you need headroom? Enclosed head? Will you be trailering it? Figure out your basic needs and tolerances and then find the smallest boat that fits. I have met many sailers who live by this and are very content with their pocket cruisers, especially when it comes time to fit out in the spring. Good luck. Tim
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

One of the best bits of advice I got from boatwise friends wasn't about the boat itself - it was about use. They said that making the boat easy to use was the key to enjoying it. In my case, this meant keeping it at a slip in town so that even if I just had an hour or so to spare I could get a little sailing fix. Make it easy to use.
(Obviously, this will have an impact on your choice of boat.)
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
windrose

Post by windrose »

Mowenbrown, I'm just about 25 minutes away from you out on a little penninsula called Shady Side (MD). My boat is at Herrington Harbor North in Deale which is a very large boat yard with lots of different boats for sale. I spend most weekends there these days, in fact, I'm heading that way in a few minutes. You should come out and have a look at the Triton in person and look around the yard at some of the other boats. It might give you a better idea of what you want and what you can afford.

If you come out, I'm back on B row right in front of the maintenance shed (about 1/3 of the way down the row on the left), my boats name is Windrose.

Personally, I think given your location here on the Bay you should select something in at least the 25' range so you can really enjoy all the Chesapeake has to offer. BTW there is a very active Triton fleet here that races and gets together regularly. There is also the Washington Sailing Club that lets members rent daysailors and I believe some small keel boats after a certain amount of training. I have a friend that belongs and will get more info for you if you are interested.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay