Protecting non-skid

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Protecting non-skid

Post by feetup »

I've got oodles of hours into hairline crack repair, wet sanding and polishing the gel coat on topsides, cabin and deck and every hour I reconfirmed my promise-to-self to keep a good coat of wax on the gelcoat at all times.
A dim lightbulb went on that hinted that a good coat of wax on the non-skid probably wasn't the best idea anybody ever had, but after removing 25 years of oxidation I would love to prevent further deterioration of the surface. Is there a way to protect gelcoat non-skid from UV and oxidization with out destroying the "non" part and encouraging the "skid" ?

Feetup
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Practical Sailor favorably reviewed a product called Woody Wax. It is not a true wax, but it does add some shine and provides UV protection. As importantly, though, it does not compromise the non skid and it makes cleanup easier.

Here's a link to the product's website: http://www.woody-wax.com/woody_wax.php
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I don't know anything about this product, but I just don't like the idea of putting anything on the nonskid.

While it may be closing the barn door after the horse has left, I think that regular fresh water cleanings and all-around good maintenance are the best things one can to to protect the nonskid. A clean boat is a happy boat, and if it's done throughout the boat's life, it will have a marked effect on the longevity of the surfaces. Don't underestimate the importance, and effects, of the seemingly simplest maintenance chores. Dirt and salt beget more dirt and salt, and both will eventually affect the naturally porous gelcoat and exacerbate the effects of sun and weather.

Nothing will take away the effects of years of neglect and exposure, so one learns to either live with the results, or else repairs and refinishes and learns a lesson for the next time. But spraying something that makes water bead up on the nonskid and makes it remotely shiny just doesn't seem like a good plan to me.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've heard quite a few good things about a product called "Sure Step," by Aurora, that's meant for waxing non-skid. I haven't tried it though (I attempted to get a sample for the yard to try, but the process was so laborious that I chose not to pursue it - we many just buy some to try at some point).
Tim

Post by Tim »

Aurora's that annoying company that fills my Email with spam even though I have never bought, nor would I ever buy, anything from them.

I don't like them.

Wax or protectant and non-skid just don't go together in my book. Talk about oxymorons...
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Aurora's that annoying company that fills my Email with spam even though I have never bought, nor would I ever buy, anything from them.
Somebody's having a bad day in the shop, aren't they?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Gee, does it really show that much? hehe