Topsides

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scout

Topsides

Post by Scout »

Now that the deck on Scout, our Pearson Invicta, is almost complete (except for what seems like rebedding a thousand holes) we are on to the topsides.

I am not to fussy about the quality of work on the topsides, the boat is used for cruising and hopefully many, many daysails and from past experance, will get banged up along the way. We are going to use one part Interlux Brightside paint and do our best roll and tipping it. My question is, what is the best order to paint? Cove stripe (recessed), boot stripe and then topeside? Being that the cove stipe is recessed we may be able to get away from taping it if we paint it before the topsides. However, the boot stripe or the topside will need to be taped after painting depending on which goes on first.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: Topsides

Post by dasein668 »

SCOUT wrote:Being that the cove stipe is recessed we may be able to get away from taping it if we paint it before the topsides.
No, I don't think so: that "edge" of the cove is going to easily load with paint and would likely cause runs into the cove area.

I'd be inclined to paint the field, then tape off and paint the cove with a small brush. Boot should be painted after the field too.

I understand your reasoning for going with a single part paint, but I'd consider going with something a bit more durable than brightsides?partially for the reasons you mention above! You'll still end up doing all the prep work anyway, so the cost of final paint isn't that much of a factor in the whole scheme. Brightsides loses it's gloss seemingly overnight in an exterior application, and it simply isn't as hard and durable as an LPU paint. I know that it's cheaper, but it's not THAT much cheaper, frankly, especially since you'll likely want to paint again in two years. Just something to consider.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Paint the field first, then the striping. Taping is just one of those things that's a part of the whole process--and it's really not that bad, actually.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Paint the topsides, THEN the cove and boot top. On our boat my wife painted the recessed cove stripe using a 1/2 inch artists brush- did a great job.

But then she IS an artist- grin.

On our next haul out I'm seriously considering just bringing the bottom paint up to the top of the current boot stripe and not having a boot stripe. Many cruisers do that and since we use black bottom paint it won't look much different than it does now with the dark blue boot stripe. Makes repaints very much simpler also plus you don't get the slime growth on the boot stripe from splash.
Tim

Post by Tim »

While there are practical and good reasons for doing away with a boottop, it's booooooooooooring without it. The boot should always be a striking contrast between hull color and bottom color.

Boottops are the window dressing for a boat and are, in my opinion, extremely important to the success of the appearance of any boat. Anyone who follows this forum knows that I feel rather strongly about how boottops look!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I recently heard of somebody painting a contrasting boot-stripe in the usual way (albeit perhaps without a section of topsides between it and the bottom paint) but with a different color of bottom paint.

I can't imagine it looking very crisp, but I'd like to see it in-person. It would certainly solve the "lapping water eating up my topsides paint" problem.

Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've seen that done, in person. It looks OK, if a bit dull, when fresh, but bottom paint above the waterline just doesn't age that well. Still, it's a little more interesting than just the plain ol' bottom paint color with no accent.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

lol- as I said *I'M* considering it. My wife is an artist and she's quite particular about how the boat looks. It's a huge part of her life. We'll more than likely just strike a new boot top 2 inches up and repaint it.

Gives me a really good place to use the laser level I got this past Christmas.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Some owners of wooden boats would never consider painting a boot top ever. I think the lines of a boat effect how necessary they are to achieving a good look. Boot tops and cove stripes can help reduce the starkness of high free boards. Regardless of whether a boat has one or not I find many boats expose too little bottom paint. It really isn't that ugly, but the slime on topsides or boot top is.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
cliffg
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Cockpit Coaming, etc

Post by cliffg »

Tim,

I went to Glissando's site and read through your recent work. I was struck by the fact that you removed the cockpit coaming. I am going to be replacing the coaming on my Kittiwake, have the teak already, and was considering the best way to install it, how many screws, etc. Initially, I considered it would be permanent installation but after looking at yours I started thinking. Is there an advantage to being able to remove it? And...how do you secure it so that it is removable?

Thouhgt since this is sort of part of the topsides it would be ok to post here.

Thanks
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

On Dasein the coamings are installed with 8 #12 self-tapping screws through the coamings into the fiberglass. I used finish washers and oval head screws on the exposed face of the coaming.

I don't know exactly how the Kittiwake's coamings are normally set up so that may or may not work for you.

Haivng them removable is highly desireable, imo; not only is it great for varnish work, having them removed during the winter minimizes the likelyhood that I'll damage them through stupidity or accident while working on the boat.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Ditto, except that I use machine screws.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Removable coamings are nice because it makes annual maintenance much easier. Of course, you're faced with visible fasteners, but that's not really so bad.

I used #12 self-tapping screws and finish washers, just as Nathan described above. I don't really like finish washers, and hindsight has taught me that finish washers work better with flat head screws (as opposed to oval head). One could also choose flat washers with pan head screws, which wouldn't be any more obtrusive than finish washers when all was said and done. Finish washers, with their sharp backs, do dig into the wood quite badly. Of course, one only notices this when the fasteners are removed, so it doesn't really matter.

For some future removable coaming on some future boat or project, I have thought of drilling a flat hole partway into the coaming (Forstner bit), filling that with epoxy, and then creating a careful countersink within the epoxied area, which ought to hold a flat head screw flush with the coaming, while still providing the support of an external washer. Maybe.

Machine screws, tapped into the support behind the coaming, would be a nice choice also, as Mike said. I would certainly entertain doing this the "next" time as well. I used self tappers because that's what held in the original coamings. Since there's a wooden backing strip behind the fiberglass in way of the coaming screws, the self-tappers are working fine despite annual removal and reinstallation.
cliffg

Thanks

Post by cliffg »

Thanks for all the information. I had intended to countersink and plug the screws but now I am rethinking this. Originally I would have used 5200 permanent caulk/adhesive but with a removable installation wondering if one caulk would be superior to another in this application.

Thanks again.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Thanks for all the information. I had intended to countersink and plug the screws but now I am rethinking this. Originally I would have used 5200 permanent caulk/adhesive but with a removable installation wondering if one caulk would be superior to another in this application.
I would suggest using no caulk at all. At most, a little around each screw hole.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I would advise against using 5200 for this application. A caulk for the coaming is to keep water from running behind it, thereby keeping your fanny dry. Using fasteners that make for easy removal of the coaming as suggested by others is the way to go in my opinion. A while back there was a guy replacing a split coaming on his CD25D and the PO had bedded them with 5200. It took a chisel, hammer, and wonder bar to remove it.
Here is a link to the discussion.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... aming+5200
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

I use no caulk at all. If I was concerned about water coming into the cockpit from behind the coamings (which I'm not?if there's that much water coming over the decks, I'm not lounging on my behind!) I would install the coamings "dry" then run a small bead along the joint between the coaming and the deck. 3M 101 or similar.
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

dasein668 wrote:I would install the coamings "dry" then run a small bead along the joint between the coaming and the deck. 3M 101 or similar.

The bead is what I was alluding too. I did that on my Typhoon and it worked well. The only problem with the polysulfide is that UV affects it's color. My nice white clean bead was yellow by the end of the season. I guess you could paint it carefully with a small brush. I plan to do just that when I put my finished coamings on my Ariel next week.
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Figment

Post by Figment »

Life-caulk (a polysulfide) comes in a "mahogany" color that isn't all that obnoxious.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The amount of water that runs behind an un-bedded or un-caulked coaming is of the nuisance quantity only, and I prefer no sealant at all since it makes removal and cleanup easier. The coamings actually seal surprisingly tightly against the fiberglass all on their own, though water can--and does--make its way through the slight gap. Typically, this only happens during washdowns, rainstorms, or times of high spray--all times when other areas of the boat are likely to be wet also.

On rare occasion, I've shipped, over the bow, the thoughtful wake of the latest megayacht to be gracing our pristene waters, which can cause water to bespeckle my otherwise dry decks on calm, sunny days, with the inexorable result of a few drips in the cockpit.

I can't ever see an application for 5200 in the installation of wooden coamings, no matter how "permanently" you chose to install them. Even if you were to bed completely behind the coamings with sealant, something like Dolfinite or polysulfide would be the appropriate choice, not 5200. 5200 is an adhesive sealant for keels and truly permanent installations that require the specific properties of this fine, but often misused, product.

I'd like to have countersunk and bunged screws on my coamings--it looks much nicer--but the convenience of refinishing in the shop, and on the horizontal, far outweighs this, in my opinion.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If we're going to be picky, the actual brand name is Life-Calk.

Oh, and while we're at it, Dolfinite is spelled Dolfinite.

dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, I've noticed that before. I hate it when companies feel the need to use cutesy misspellings of their product names. Pet peeve. It's caUlk, BoatLIFE and you know it!
Figment

Post by Figment »

Krispy Kreme is granted a special absolution.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Ye Ole Olde Tyme Krispy Calk Kreme at Shoppe Rite
Figment

Post by Figment »

Shoppe Rite Xpress!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Klassy Kar Kare. The ultimate in unclassy.

What's wrong with Crispy Cream? It's no wonder I can't spell to save my life...
Tim

Post by Tim »

I admit I've only had Krispy Kreme donuts a couple times (they don't have locations in Maine), and while they were good, they were neither crispy (Krispy) nor creamy (Kremey).

This thread's gone way beyond "off track", but we're having fun, anyway.
cliffg

Post by cliffg »

Well, after I having eaten my fill of Bavarian Kreme Philled Krispee Cream Doeknuts, I thought I'd reply. Thanks for the advice about 5200, I'll install the coamings without any Calk initially and if the water seepage is a problem I can always go back and addit.

As always, the wealth of information available here is astonishing and greatly appreciated.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I love this forum.

I named my dog "Stix" just to have a private laugh at those silly brand-name misspellings. How annoying they are.

R.
Scout

Post by Scout »

We started the second coat this weekend, upon arrival we were greeted by Arcadia (Chris) who has stopped by a few times to see our progress.

Now Chis is an artist (painter!!!) and he gave us some pointers and showed us how to get the paint to the best cosistency, then left, then came back after picking up his son just as we were finishing up. It was so great to get the help, advice and encouagement. Thanks Chris!

Oh, forgot to mention that my taping job done previously was deemed inadequate upon arrival and Chris - well, he did the whole thing (I think, I had run to West Marine) himself.

Yesterday, after work, we put the third coat on. Now we thought we were pros at this point. Should have stopped at coat number two. Don't know if it was because it was so much later in the day....a much warmer hull, or what but we never got the paint to the consistency of the other day, there were white fuzzies milling about and the gnats etc. Will know better how we did this afternoon....today we will do the cove stripe and boot stripe and rudder. We can not wait to just sail this girl.

Below is Chis and the end result of coat # 2.

[/img]

Oops, that's not the end result, this is....

After we were finished we dicided to reward ourselves with a drink at the Captains Cove bar and listen to the band "Eight to the bar". We did not dance (:

Anyway, we decided to take some pictures of these Tritons side by side for youins...

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Ummm.... those aren't Tritons.

Or at least not REAL Tritons :-)
there were white fuzzies milling about and the gnats etc.
This is exactly what spooks me about painting in my boatyard...

Kudos!

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Figment

Post by Figment »

yep, I caught a few gnats in my varnish on Monday as well.
Such is life.

She's looking classy now!
Scout

Post by Scout »

Ya know, as we drove away, I said that I that I thought Triton's had teak cockpit combing...

I believe that dark hull to the left of the twins is a Pearson though?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

If Allen will permit me, I stole a picture to post a reminder of what great looking boats Tritons really are :-)

Most Tritons do have the teak combings unless they have been replaced (edit: just noticed Kaholee's combings are off in this picture) A number of Tritons were built under licence on the west coast and had molded fiberglass combings in addition to a number of other small changes.

I think key traits of the Triton are the underwater hull shape, (I could stare for hours...) fairly distinctive coach roof (some would say 'ugly') with forward opening ports (usually) on the upper coach roof, Jumper stays on the mast can often identify a Triton a mile away or more.

Sadly, badly weathered teak, pealing paint, and an overall look of neglect also tend to make Tritons stand out in a crowd :-(

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh goodie, I love an Invicta update.

Those last boats are Albin Vegas, btw (you probably know this but have "paint brain" temporarily). Interesting to see the visual affect of two such different paint color choices on the same model boat side-by-side.

Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

Scout wrote:I believe that dark hull to the left of the twins is a Pearson though?
That's a Tartan 34C.

Rachel wrote:Interesting to see the visual affect of two such different paint color choices on the same model boat side-by-side.
Two? Lame... ;<)

How about 4, all with different paint schemes? (Sorry for the bad lighting.)

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

How did I miss all those other posts before mine pointing out that those weren't Tritons? I thought I'd hit that little box to take me to "most recent post"...

Never mind!

R.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Rachel, perhaps the fumes have passed through your neck of the woods?

Albin Vega's, eh? I sure did not know that.

Tonight: taped, sanded and primed the boot stripe, then painted the 'barn door' rudder with some special (toxic) 'red' paint. It was neon orange!!!! No pictures as I had to run home and lug two bookcases from outside (getting primed and painted, of course) into the garage before the rain began. If I never see a paint brush again, I don't think I'd cry.

8 more days till the splash!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Geez, Tim. That picture makes Dasein and Glissando look almost identical!
Scout

Post by Scout »

Well, guess what...Brian ran into the owner of one of the twins, asked him if that was a Triton (this was all before I posted) and he said no, it's a Pearson Ariel. Then Brian said something about the other one behind - or in front of it - and the guy NEVER EVEN NOTICED.

Who's on first?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Clearly that owner knows what his own boat is, but he couldn't have been the owner of one of those Vegas if he owns an Ariel, since the boats in the photo are both clearly Vegas and not Ariels. This isn't open to interpretation: it's fact.

The other guy probably didn't notice a twin to his own boat because there probably isn't a twin Ariel right next door. Now, find the owner of one of the Vegas and see if they noticed. Probably.

This is all getting too confusing! Let's move on now:

More pictures of your completed hull paint, please! She's looking good.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

The only thing missing from the picture is Tim in the dinghy with some oars. ;)

Whitefield Marina. :D
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position