Non-Skid, Specific Interlux question

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Non-Skid, Specific Interlux question

Post by Noah »

I'm going to be repainting the non-skid on my Swede in the next few days. I have already sanded off the majority of the old non-skid that came off very easily.

In the future (1-2 years) I will be doing some deck core work, (Delam, from stress and some moisture) so I'm waiting until then to do the complete deck painting job.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide what product to paint the non-skid with. A friend said he has had terrible luck with InterDeck, and says to use Perfection two part with non-skid additive as it wears much better.

Being that I'm going to sand most of this off in a couple of years, which will be worse to remove? Interdeck or Perfection?

What do others think of his advice?

Thanks,

Noah
I want a shop!
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Perfection, which is a 2 part paint, will probably be harder to remove. Why did your friend not care for the Interdeck?

I've used Interdeck several times and I think it is an excellent product, so long as it is properly mixed (use a separate container that is larger than the can).

It is very easy to apply and it looks just fine. Unlike the Perfection, you do not have to prime the surface or worry about mixing the parts, getting an even spread of the non-skid additive, or flattening the paint. Unless you have an issue with the somewhat limited colors, I would suggest going with Interdeck.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

My friend said that the interdeck chipped and scratched very easily. Drop the spin pole once and you need to repaint, etc.

It sounds like I will go with the Interdeck, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Noah
I want a shop!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

We have a single coat of Interdeck on our boat. Didn't have time to get two on before we left for a cruise.

It still looks very good, even up on the fore deck where I've pounded it with anchor chains during a pair of 30 plus day cruises.

It now needs repainting and we just got the new can in, but the stuff has been on there for two years now. Just one coat remember. I suspect if someone is having real trouble with it, then the underlying surface wasn't clean enough or something is interfereing with the adhesion. Ours HAS chipped, but certainly no more than any other paint would have. The rest of the boat is painted with an industrial 2 part plyurethane, something like AwlGrip or Imron, which was the primed surface for the Interdeck.

I'm sold on it.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I suspect if someone is having real trouble with it, then the underlying surface wasn't clean enough or something is interfereing with the adhesion
I'd agree. Mine held up great for a year and, when I sold the boat, it was still going strong.

Another advantage of the Interdeck is that it is very easy to touch up. I accidently went through the top skin in a couple of places when I recored the sidedeck from below. Fixing it was a matter of fairing the small holes, sanding the area, and applying a coat of Interdeck. About 30 minutes of actual work.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com