Winch Handles

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Winch Handles

Post by Peter »

After upgrading my winches I discover the old handles are a loose fit in the new winch. I can hear it now:
"What ... He bought new winches and no new handles ??? !!!"

Anyway, the "square" on the old handles is 5/8" x 5/8". It looks like the new ones need 11/16" x 11/16". Yet when internet shopping for a new (floating, this time) handle I see no reference to socket size.
What am I missing here ? (besides a new handle ;-)

Oh yes, pictures :-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

They don't float, but the Lewmar One Touch handles are fantastic. I have no idea about the socket size, other than that it's standard (whatever that is).
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

this past summer I raced on a Morgan 36 Nelson Marek design. Great boat with a ton of winches, pretty much all of which were from when the boat was built, 1984. The 4 primaries were of this weird diameter and there were only a could of equally weird handles that would fit it. The problem was that the handles were getting old and rounded off (they had a start shaped entry instead of a square)

I talked with the skipper about welding up a new set out of stainless bar or aluminum but it never got off the ground. They're just a chunk of square stock forged out of a bar with a roller handle. Just a thought if you really can't find a handle that fits.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If your new winches are really new, then any currently-available stock handle should fit.

In the past, some winches had annoyingly odd-sized handle receptacles, but they've been pretty universal for the last 20 years or more. That's why you don't see any reference to socket sizes in the literature.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tim wrote:If your new winches are really new, then any currently-available stock handle should fit.
Yup, they're new ... fresh out of the box. So my 37 year old Lewmars must be the oddball ones. I still have the original pair of aluminum handles, which I like because they are so light weight. But I guess it's time to get some new locking/floating ones for the new winches.
Mystery solved ... thanks all!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I'll second the recommendation of the one-touch Lewmars. They even work in my 35 y.o. Lewmar winches-- the ones Lewmar doesn't even have diagrams for anymore (45- 3 speed).

Also, the Lewmar one-touch handles are actually made by someone else and branded Lewmar. When I find the link, I'll post it. The OEM makes some different variations on that theme.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.onetouchhandle.com/userrev.html
Last edited by Ceasar Choppy on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

For some reason, I've never dropped either of my floating handles overboard. One of them isn't even the thumb-lock type.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That's because it's no fun for Overboard Gods to throw over your stuff that floats--they only get their kicks throwing over the irretrievable items, like $150 metal winch handles, tools, and clevis pins.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
triton #227
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by triton #227 »

Hey, where can you get the old flat handles for the origenal winches on my triton.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the info and link on the "One Touch" handles. Looks like Lewmar just came out with an 8" long one, with the 10" handle I have a Dodger support conflict :-(
Time for some more research!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

I have the old style "bar" winches - a slot thru the top of the winch accepts a bar maybe .25" x 1.25", with the handle attached to that.

I think that will let me "gear" the handle, by sliding more or less in - way in for light duty, fast winching, out for more leverage.

Anybody have these? Any leads on where to find them? or even pictures? I was thinking to just make one up out of some 1/4" aluminum I have around, bend up the end, and put a piece of pvc pipe over as a handle.

Ideas?

Edited to insert new pic (handle is long for now, will cut to fit):