Awlgrip primer and Interdeck questions

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Awlgrip primer and Interdeck questions

Post by Ryan »

I am trying to get everything worked out for a roll and tip Awlgrip job in the near future. I have two questions (for now at least) for those of you that have done this. First, I will be painting the hull and deck with snow white topcoats and prime with 545 primer. With that in mind, should I use the gray or white primer? The white seems like it would make for easier coverage, but the gray would give contrast for sanding. I have never used LPU paints, so I am not sure how well a white topcoat would cover gray primer.

I am going to paint all the non-skid with Interlux Interdeck. The gelcoat is in really good shape. Is there a need to prime before the Interdeck?

Thanks for any information.

Ryan
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Awlgrip primer and Interdeck questions

Post by Hirilondë »

Most painters I know like the gray for the very reason you mentioned. I don't think you will find covering it difficult. As to the Interdeck, you could read the directions :)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

According to Interlux, there is no need to prime before applying Interdeck. By the way, Interdeck is a thick paint and the aggregate settles to the bottom of the can. Pour the entire can into a larger paint bucket and mix it well so you get an even distribution of the aggregate. Trying to mix Interdeck in it's own can doesn't really work, in my experience.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Hirilondë wrote: As to the Interdeck, you could read the directions :)
That would be WAY to easy!! Actually, I did read them and like Jason says, it doesn't require a primer. On the other hand, real life experiences sometimes seem to contrast with those "suggestions" and I didn't want to miss out on something that everyone else knew.

Thanks for the input Jason. I have painted a few test panels with Interdeck and was amazed at how thick the paint was and still it leveled itself out. I mixed in the can for those test and I will give you method a try as it was a bear to deal with it in the small can.

Ryan